Ear Protection with Tunes.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by SkippysHelpers, Sep 30, 2005.

1. SkippysHelpers

SkippysHelpers LawnSite Member

I was not really sure where to put this. Has anyone used those hearing protectors from the B.O.B. (big orange box) that have the radio built in? I was wondering if they were worth it.

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

years ago I tried a set of over the ear style ones that I picked up from Northern tool...they just plugged into whatever you wanted listen to with a standard headphone jack. Nice...but here's the downside, they made my head sweat like nothing else, the sound was best described as mediocre and it didn't take long wrapping the cord around them between jobs for them to short out and stop working. I couldn't stand wearing them for more than a half hour at a time. As far as their hearing protection properties, it wasn't any better than in your ear foam styles that are much more comfortable to wear.

3. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I wear the Stihl Ear protectors, they drown out plenty of the noise. As for music i just keep my mp3 player in my pocket and use the in your ear headphones underneath the stihl hearing protectors. works great! you can still hear the motor and how the mower or machine is runing but get to listen to all the music you want. :cool2:

James
    JS LANDSCAPING

4. surfisher211

surfisher211 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

i use the work tunes i got them from home depot well worth it .

5. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I do the same as JS Landscape and it works great!!

6. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

I just put my Ipod on, put the wires under my shirt so they dont get tangled, and put on the hearing protection.

7. BRIDGE577

BRIDGE577 LawnSite Member

I love my work tunes, Ace hardware or Home depot about $60.00
    I don't know what I did the first 4 years.
    They help quiet the voices in my head make the day go buy faster,I also get the traffic updates from the local radio stations and know wich way not to go actually saves me from traffic tie ups some times.

8. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

Exactly what I do. I started with the peltors from Depot, but kept getting the antenna stuck on a branch and it would pull my head back. I use the IPOD Shuffle 512mb. You wear it like a necklace. Works very well. :)