1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ear protection

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by solidchaos73, Apr 1, 2008.

1. solidchaos73

solidchaos73 LawnSite Member

Should I use ear protection for mowing?? If so, what brand/type should i use?
  2. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Huh, what did you say? I couldn't hear you...ear plugs? I never use them, they're for wimps :).

I'm a big fan of the foam ear plugs because of the heat and humidity here it's pretty uncomfortable to wear full ear muffs for much of the year but I use them in the winter time. I like the 'classic ear plugs', the yellow ones that come in the card board containers or the 'spark plugs'. The boxes I buy come with 250 pairs, about $30.
  3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Anyone who runs any sort of equipment including closed cab equipment and hand power tools should wear ear protection. If OSHA hangs out wherever you work that's one of the items they'll nail you with. Eye protection is another. I've run equipment most of my life - grew up on a large farm - and i've lost about 40% of my hearing. Find ear protection that your comfortable with and use it properly.
  4. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Those foam ear-plugs are great...you can get them at local drugstores for convenience sake. They're generally near the band-aids.
    Roll them up a bit first, into a cone, then reach over your head with the opposite hand and pull your ear up & back while inserting. They will fill your ear cavity in a few seconds as they expand. You'll see when they get nasty, so go with a new pair at your discretion.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I like the small foam ones, too. They work great and are more comfortable than the earmuffs. I don't use them as often as I should, but I'm working on it.
  6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

use the reusable ones with th eneck cord from Lowes but i might have to try the foam ones
  7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Man go down to the Home cheapo and spent $50 on a set of Work Tunes! it will save you hearing and let you rock out to some music:cool2: .I Won't mow without them:cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2::cool2:
  8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I use them too.

But when I come home I set them down on the stupid coffee table, and then the kids will let the #@%>&)- KING FERRETS :hammerhead: out of their stupid cage.

And the little :cry:demons :cry:will STEAL the damn things every time, and hide them some where under a couch or a desk or wherever...
    Sure as the sun rises !
  9. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Always use some kind of protection, most of our guys are now using muffs with ipods, music helps everybody work better.
  10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member