1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ear protection?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, Jun 13, 2004.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

This year I have been trying to make myself do a better job of taking care of myself, haha. I finally bought gloves to help with callouses (sp?) and blisters. My hands would hurt all the time last year. Now that I have done that I am starting to think I should protect my ears for the future...

I have been cutting grass commercially for a 3 or so years now, and semi-commercially (operated with 21" from bed of truck when a teenager) for about 3 years before that. So 6-7 years of cutting lawns with no ear protection. So far I don't think I have had any damage, but with newer, larger, more powerful, and thus louder equipment I think it may be time to wise up a little.

What options are there for ear protection nowadays. I see some guys wearing huge, bulky ear muffs. I don't think I could stand that. Are there smaller forms of ear protection like plugs (which I still don't like haha)?

Also, are there any radios or CD players that not only play music but keep sound from equipment filtered out. This would look a little better and plus I could listen to the radio (which could be a little dangerous as well I imagine).

Thanks for any suggestions...
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear the foam plugs. No way I could stand muffs in this heat. Wish I had started using them years ago. My hearing is damaged from not using protection. Once you lose it you cannot get it back.
  3. luv2fly

luv2fly LawnSite Member
    from ATL

The hearing protection that cuts out the most noise are the small foam rubber type. They usually cut out 25 to 29 dB depending on the brand. If you really want to be safe, put in the ear plugs (29dB) and wear a head set (22dB). You are canceling 51dB's of noise. Try it sometime it is quiet.

Having lost some hearing from an earlier job in the EMS field, I highly recommend that you protect your ears

Just my 2 cents

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

there is a thread started " work tunes" made by peltor... that's what we use and love them.
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

works tunes are great,nothing better then music to make the day go easier...
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't stand ear muffs and have always used foam plugs. I found some at Wal Mart that are 33NR. I recently purchased an MP3 player with earbuds and discovered that the earbuds alone will not stop the mower noise. If I use the plugs and put the ear buds over the plugs it keeps the earbuds too far from my ear canal and I can't hear the music. My solution was to cut the earplug in half, insert it into my ear and then use the earbuds on top of them. Success! The earplug stops the mower noise just as well as before and because the earbud is now positioned correctly I can hear the music too.
  7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

use hearing protection while you are young...or when you get older...you wont need it at all.

8. allamericanman

allamericanman LawnSite Member

About 10 years ago I had a custom set of earplugs made for me. They took a mold of my ear canal so they fit perfect. The plugs cost about $100 back then, but are well worth it. They last a long time. I think I had Miricle Ear make them for me, but I can't remember for sure.
  9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Peltor Worktunes, at Wally World for $49. I think they are under the name AOSafety there.....good radio tunage....