early leaf fall..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Aug 10, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

how do you guys approach early leaves falling, charge wise. not at all like the fall, just enough where you have to blow or rake a small pile or 2?
    mostly i guess from the dry weather, leaves are falling everywhere, we have alot of Sycamore trees here. do you just do it without charging?

2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, them darn sycamores loosing the leaves early, they are messy trees.
    If I can quickly go over the area a second time to mulch em up, then I just do it. If there is blowing and cleanup, then there will also be a charge for the work.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I close the chute with my ACS from meg mow and grind them babies up. Just charge regular price, just takes a few minutes and I dont have to listen to customers whine or complain about a few extra dollars. Trying to explain it to them cost more then I would get out of it lol.

4. fga

i'm not to concerned about the ones on the lawns too much. sycamore trees where used as curb trees many many years ago. so we have to blow around and under parked cars on the streets.
    it still doesn't take too long, its not like the fall. so far i haven't charged extra. it just feels strange to do fall leaf clean up procedures, 10 minutes extra here or there, this early.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you should charge extra. i have a small fee added to the contracts of these homes that have sycamores , it is "weekly cleanup" of debris, and is charged for july and aug.

6. fga

when you say extra, how much are we talking?

7. ddegybbob

ddegybbob LawnSite Member

i don't think you should charge extra. it's your job, isn't it? it's not the customers fault that the leaves fell. they are nice enough to let you cut the grass, so you should clean the leaves for free

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have $15 a week, built into my monthly fee, for the months of july, and aug. this is only for these properties that have sycamores, and need the curb area cleaned up.

9. fga

bobbygedd,
    is this you signed up as a joke?

16 years old, beenin business 15 years? wow... did you cut yur own embilical cord with the trimmer you were holding?

if not, welcome to LS all the way from Tokyo!

10. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

No the trimmer the loppers work much better. :rolleyes: