Early lime apps.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdude, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone elseapply lime as their first application. We apply as early as mid-February and try to complete by late March prior to pre-M. An early application seems to wake up the turf a little. The label claims that it helps the turf be more available for fertilizer uptake. It helps get a little cash flow early too.
    Any thoughts/ comments?

Bob

2. Sounds good, but do you also apply Fall Lime?

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike,
    We only apply fall lime if the client signs up mid or late season.
    Bob

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lime does not work that quickly....spring lime helps in the fall, and fall lime helps in the spring. The early application does help your cash flow though..:D

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I do it when it is convenient for me. Jan, Feb, March could be last years lime or this years depending upon when you signed and how our schedule is. People don't sem to care if they are educated that lime is not a season specific application.

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I applied rapid lime to my lawn 20mins ago with a hand held spreader.

7. KenH is correct, it takes several months before lime is really available to plant. A smaller prill will be a little faster!

8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I read in Ecologically Sound Lawn Care for the Pacific Northwest that the app rate for lime is 25 lbs per k. I looked at a bag of prilled dolomite lime in the garage and it says one 40 lb bag will do a whole lawn. It works out to about 10 lbs per k. Advise? I bought a Kelway pH tester so I could legitimate the sale of applications. What is the application rate, also I had planned on telling customers that now is a good time to apply so the fert i will apply THIS season will get more fully used.

9. 2b organic
    Generally 50 lbs / m is maximun of lime surface applied to soil. Lime moves thru the soil profile in layers, thats why you need to make several application, which none should excede 50 lbs / m.

A kelway ph meter will give a good indication to soil ph, BUT IT WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH LIME TO APPLY, OR WHICH TYPE OF LIME! A ph of 5 will take more lime to raise to 6.5 if soil is clay verse sand. To determine which lime to use, dolomitic or calictic, you need to know the base saturation of magnesium, calcium, potash, hydrogen, and sodium You find this out by doing a soil test thru a qualifed lab, costing 8 to 12 dollars