Early Pre emergent with no snow

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by kansassprayguy, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kansassprayguy

kansassprayguy LawnSite Member

I am inquiring because with the weird winter we have had with little to no snow should i be considering a split application rather than just the one application in early/mid march to rid of possible early weed growth..Also what products are being used in this area or pre emergents if i do a split application? Thank you...

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you were to do a split application when youÂ’d you put down the first application :waving:

3. kansassprayguy

I was considering do it the last week of february and then then again mid to late april..depending on the ground temps..

4. Landrus2

I would stick with my old plan do to the fact winter its not over :waving:

5. kansassprayguy

i have also been researching on doing a possible pre emergent in march and doing another pre emergent in late fall..has anyone else done this, and what have been your results?

6. Landrus2

Late fall would be throwing your money way
    With our temps going down by that time up here in New York
    :waving::waving:

7. gardenkeeper88

gardenkeeper88 LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep track of the soil temps. They may warm up quicker thus needing to jump on pre m alittle early but then you need the split like in your 2 or 3 app to carry you into the fall.

8. Ferris68

Ferris68 LawnSite Member

I am in St. Louis and doing a split application of dimension starting in early March for the first and early May for the second. Go to Greencastonline.com and it will give you ground temps., insect and disease problems as they move into your area. It also shows maps of crabgrass and other pests as they move north with the temps. Its free to sign up and very helpful.

9. kansassprayguy

thanks for all the information..im going to go with a split application and according to the extention office its advised to go off the red bud trees and ground temp to start first round.