Early season Geese in Texas

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txgrassguy, Dec 5, 2011.

1. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Just got back from my first outing for Geese in thirty-four years.
    Used to go with my father when we resided in Illinois back in the mid-late seventies. This year a shooting buddy suggested a trip and I was a bit hesitant at first - but now am hooked once again.
    The pictures were taken December 3 and 4 in a somewhat dry rice field outside of Katy Texas.
    Temps weren't bad, around 50*F for both days and I "missed" the front and 30*F temps for this week.
    The first one is me all camo'd up and waiting for daylight, taken around 5:30am.
    The second is of the guide's dog, "Jet", who we kept busy.
    Got my limit both days but didn't know until after the first day all the birds are divided amongst the shooters present.
    Ended up with a dozen dressed breasts ready for the kitchen.
    Already planning the next trip plus I am researching calls for the Speckled and Snow Geese since it is different from the Canada Geese I am familiar.

Dec2011 Goose Hunting 001.jpg

Dec2011 Goose Hunting 005.jpg

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Not bad. Canada geese are a nuisance here. All they do is crap and pull up grass by the roots. It's ashame we can't discharge a gun within city limits. Are those plastic bags attached to a stick?
    Here's my game from 2 weeks ago.

buck.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Nice, when I get some time I will post up some of the pics from the first split of duck season. Why is this irrigation realated... bc it is what we do in the off seaon so we do not kill customers during the irrigation season. And we use pumps to flood fields.

4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, those are bags attached to sticks. Pretty cheesy and very old school way to decoy geese. Until I saw them and talked to a few of the other hunters present I never heard of them.
    Dog made up for the decoys though.

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I've never thought about how you'd hunt a goose. Interesting that you use decoys.

Around here we just walk onto a golf course and smack them in the head with a 7 iron. :)

In all seriousness, working outside all the time, I've gotten pretty familiar with the southern migration schedule and volumes. Those of you on the receiving end of this year's crop are in for a good harvest! By far the most I've seen in years and they've managed to have a pretty good length of time for grazing in stubble fields before the flights.

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I went pheasant hunting in SW Colorado the day after Thanksgiving. Not a damn bird around. There is minimal if any coverage for them to hide in due to no rain there this summer. Nothing grew. Areas that we walked last year were up to our knees and higher. This year the same fields were maybe at our ankles at best. Pulled up to the fields, and we could see there were absolutely no birds there. Good day of walking around though.

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Nice Buck Stan!

8. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Here is a whitetail I shot off our family ranch in W. Texas... he stares at me while I am working.

Deer1.JPG

9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Do you guys use a pit or blind?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Use some CB rounds in your 22 and no one will ever know.
    Posted via Mobile Device