Early Spring Start !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Feb 13, 2002.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I am stoked! A few nice sunny days and everyone's calling us! We're booked for a good week or more right now on side jobs. And we've lined up to big installs for March.

I've never been this busy in mid-February before. Sheesh! I haven't even sent out my 2500 post-cards yet. I am REALLY gonna be swamped then. Things are lookin' good! :cool:
  2. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Thats great jim, where are most of the calls coming from, referrals, or have you already begun advertising for the new season? I'll bet your guys must be happy for so many hours this early.
  3. JimLewis

No, I am not advertising (other than our trucks and yard signs)

One big job came from Service Magic. Three from our trucks. Two were referrals. And two more were existing lawn care customers just needed some additional work.

It's a little chilly here but it's sunny as heck! Aint it great!
  4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a positive endorsement of Service Magic? On another thread here we've had mostly negative feedback of the Service Magic approach. Is it working out well for you?
  5. JimLewis

I love Service Magic. I like them even better than the company I originally signed with (Handiman Online who was acquired by Service Magic). Their fees are more reasonable and I seem a land an even higher percentage of jobs they refer to me.

I don't know if I am the only Landscaper / LCO around here who is signed up with them (typically they are supposed to refer 3 contractors to every homeowner who calls) or if it's just that I get there first. But I've landed 100% of the calls they've sent my way so far this year.

Even if I only landed 1 out of every 3 jobs, I still feel it's worth it. Many of the clients they refer will be clients of ours for a long time. So even though we pay a very small fee (or even 3 fees) to get that first job. All future jobs are free (as far as a lead fee goes.)

I really like the fact that I don't have to pay until they have provided me a qualified lead. Unlike most other advertising, where you pay each month regardless of whether it produces results for you.
  6. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

what r they and how does it work?
  7. JimLewis

They are at www.servicemagic.com . I am sure there is a toll-free number on the web site.

Basically, they do advertising in various ways for all sorts of contracting services. Then, when they get a call in your area for work that you do, they will send you a lead on a digital display pager and you call the customer from there. You pay a lead fee (e.g. $8) for every lead you get, whether or not you land the job.

The one requirement they have is that you be licensed, bonded, and insured.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Jim I agree. This is a very busy feb. I had a booth at a home and garden show this past weekend. I've been doing a lot of estimates. Almost all of them have been put on the books to be done. I can't wait for March 1. That is when I plan to get started on these jobs. This year is looking good so far.