Earphones for mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwc, Sep 8, 2006.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

I know there has been a lot of talk about Peltors and other headphones.......I have used Peltors for years and then I found the Sure earphones. The thing I like is they dont go over the ear and get so hot during the summer but they block out as much or more sound than the Peltors. Plus you can use them with an ipod, etc. The sound is amazing! I have the E3c model.
    Just thought I would pass on the experience! here is a link: http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/Products/Earphones/ESeries/index.htm

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use Koss earbuds with a Sony Atrac-3 olympic sports cd player (plays mp3 cd's as well as regular cd's), and the Koss earbuds are made of a foam similar to the foamy earplugs so you really don't need those mickey mouse ears but if you want absolute silence and music enjoyment then put on some mm ears over top. The earbuds cost 20 dollars new and you can order replacement buds from Koss for a few dollars, I've had mine for over 3 years now, the sound is as good as any better full-size stereo out there, we're talking Phylharmonic Orchestra quality.
    The Cd player was 80 dollars new and you really have to walk the Toro in 4th gear for about 15 minutes solid before it starts to skip, you will be drenched in sweat and feeling dizzy as darkness encroaches around the edges of your vision if you can make that atrac-3 skip, but it is possible. It's where my saying came from: When you hear the atrac skipping, you're finally working LOL.

As for peltors, ain't no AM/FM radio nonsense ever turned me on for good music, I need my own music and music only.

Only thing about the Koss is you gotta watch that cord, helps to slip it through your shirt so it doesn't dangle, but watch it nevertheless.

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Peltor Work Tunes, or whatever.
    I bought them for the guys. I have 4 [four] They waste more time tuning in stations while on the job than I like. They tend to zone out...and they are unresponsive when I need them...like right now...I'm paying the bills here....When they break or wear out, I will NOT replace them....Getting in the truck and hearing music playing because they did not turn them off...and expecting ME to buy the batteries....get real...pass on your experience to someone else......

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it's:

Sony D-NF610 Mp3 Atrac3 Cd Walkman
    The new ones have AM/FM/TV/Weather digital tuners with 51-station preset, full digital display and control board, dude...
    Even the old one rocks with heat resistant electronics and it stands up to working flawlessly time after time while it's on my belt...

With the Koss Sparkplugs

You can't get a better sound.

5. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

those spark plugs look similar to the sure's. As long as they work! :cool2:

I got an ipod shuffle a while back and its nice for mowing, nice and small, fits in my pocket and I have over 120 songs on it!

6. No Lawncares

No Lawncares LawnSite Member

I use sony disc like ones and they work fine, without the mp3 player I would hate mowing but with it its great.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a set of these headphones for over a year now. They are great. I decided not to listen to music while working so I bought one of their headsets. I can answer the phone and even talk, while still mowing. Customers hear me fine, I hear them, and I don't have to stop mowing to answer any questions. I am considering buying the set that has a jack for music and the phone jack as well. I just find it a little harder to mow and listen to music at the same time.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have read posts the past few seasons about those having some kind of device, muffs with radio/plug for mp3, ear buds, etc. Last Winter I bought an mp3 player for use when walking (I walk every day for exercise when the mowing season is done). I downloaded great material, and enjoyed it immensely, looking forward to use when the mowing season started. I have used Stihl muffs for sound supression for a long time, and planned to put the ear buds inside.

When the season started, I tried several times to make the process work. I only wanted to use the mp3/muffs during long mowing jobs, e.g. one hour or more. I certainly wasn't intended on dealing with the devices when working with the trimmer, edger, or something other than the w/b or ZTR. Quickly, I learned:
    1. The mower/engine sound is too much, and I can hardly hear the sounds from the ear buds.
    2. The time to fiddle with the player, cord, getting the buds in place, etc was taking too long -- when I get to a job site, my job is to get to work, get the job done ASAP.
    3. Keeping the right files in the que was also taking too much time, at least more time than I wanted.

In short, a failed experiment for me. The hassle of it all, and the quality of audio, just isn't worth it. Yes, I would like to listen to help with the passage of time and not waste all the mental CPU cycles. I guess we all have a different take on the value of our time.

9. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I use Stihl ear muffs to block out most of the mower sound. Then I take little speakers and put them inside the muff's. The speakers are meant to wrap around your ear. I then duck tape a digital walkman as well as the wires to the top of the muffs. The digital walkman is nice, because there's no fiddling around trying to get the station in. The station is either in or not.

Iv had work toons and this set up is much better. If the work toons break you have to buy a new set for $50 bucks. With the Walkman/ muff set up, you only have to buy the piece that wore out or broke.

Ill take pictures of the set up.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Peltor worktunes suck. They dont block out enough noise and the radio tuner never stays on the correct station. Now on the other hand Elvex hearing protectors work like a champ, keep a tune and block much more noise. I have both so I know what I am talking about. the elvex is more expencive but well worth the money.