1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Earth Bag Walls?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by livingreen1, Dec 11, 2008.

1. livingreen1

livingreen1 LawnSite Member

Anyone have any expereince with buiding earth bag walls? I have been asked to look in to it for a community we service. Looking for info. Thanks

2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

What is the purpose for the wall???

If it's simple retention for a short period of time it might work.

A well built retaining wall with block will last as long as the concrete blocks. A earth bag wall will only last as long as the bags.

I was doing some reading on the bags, and they said to use good polypropylene bags. I don't know about you, but I've never seen plastic last any longer than a couple of years exposed to the elements, and burlap just breaks down.

Is your customer trying to be green?? If so, plastic bags aren't a good choice.

3. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

the poly bags will work only if they are covered with an exterior covering--something like mud. The only place I've read of people using them is in building earthen-wall homes.