Earth Worms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by naturescaretaker, Jun 7, 2005.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Here's one for you all. What is the best thing on the market to get rid of earthworms now? I've got a yard that is dieing fast and it turns out there are over 200 works per square yard. It's been years since I have seen this and I forgot what I used. Suggestions?
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Soak the ground until they come up, pick worms, go fishing! :waving:
  3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I thought that earthworms were supposed to be good for the ground. Kind of like natures aererators or something.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If you have earthworms you have great soil and they will keep it fertilized and aireated for you.Are you sure they are earthworms and not some other kind?I have never heard of or seen earthworms kill or do much damage to a lawn.Worms are our freinds.don't kill um ,sell um.
  5. naturescaretaker

Yea... they're earthworms. About 250 per square yard.
  6. Gladestraveller

Gladestraveller LawnSite Member

Two products that you might already have in your program planning are ai Cabaryl insecticide and Thiophan Methyl fungicide both do well to suppress populations. Rates are usually high for most effective control. Good Luck!

Google UK research on earthworms on golf greens
  7. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

First off, can you go into detail about the damage. When it started, what it looks like, etc. I've been in the industry for 13+ years and never heard of earthworms killing a lawn.

Secondly, check to make sure that those products are labeled for worms. Make sure that there is very little thatch as most products will bind in the thatch layer. Prepare your customer to water the grass alot to get the product down to the earthworms. I know sevin used to have a label for earthworms, might have been taken off.
  8. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Never seen anything like that here. It might not be the earthworms so much as what might be feeding on them... like birds, moles, etc.

There are over 200 species of earthworm in North America. Not all of them bring castings to the surface which may be perceived as damage (especially to golf courses).

I'd be careful, but you could make the soil slightly more acidic. Some of the fertilizers the worms don't particularly care for either, reducing their number. There are other conditions, too, you could use before the pesticide route. Reduce the amount of moisture (if the turf will withstand it) and even bagging the grass (if it's an option) are possibilities. Bagging reduces the amount of clippings the worms feed on.
  9. naturescaretaker

I had someone from Clemson University Extension go by today and verify the problem. He has never seen anything like this before. They are going to do some testing tomorrow. I will take some pictures and post them.

It started off as little mounds of dirt. We did the bucket test and hundreds of them started jumping out of the ground.

What is happening is that there are so many of them that they are actually pulling the dirt away from the roots thus killing the grass. Wait until you see the pictures tomorrow.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have never heard to such a problem. But Liquid Sevin (Carbaryl) is the best thing for killing Earth Worms. Gladestraveller has already recommended it. I would try no less than 6 oz per thousand with at least 5 gallons of water per thousand. I would also use a good wetting agent like Respond. If I didn't see a good response after two weeks I would hit it again.