Earthmoving Quiz - Find the problem

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Squizzy246B, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Oldest Earthmovers trick in book:

Client wants site cleaned and house pad prepped. No probs, 1 load green waste away, cut with trash rake and 1 load grass and roots away.
    No problemo!

oldtrick1 044.jpg

2. Squizzy246B

Then Old trick:

Too much organic matter in topsoil for house pad - solution??load it all out and then bring in truck loads of clean builders sand...No No.:nono: ..we are smarter than your average bear...and had good trainer:blush:

Dig big hole outside building envelope and mine good clean sand. Push all crap in hole and bury...Whalla!
    No problemo!

oldtrick2 053.jpg

3. Squizzy246B

and here tis...can you guess (Hint - Murphy's Law):cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

now don't laugh too much when you work it out:blob4:

oldtrick3 058.jpg

4. Squizzy246B

Ok, here's a hint:

"I'm always in it, only the depth varies"

5. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

in the poop

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How do they build house foundations down under with the ground being nothing but sand ?

Here in B.C. its dig down to the solid rock which usually at most is 4' build the footings and put poured concrete walls on top of the footings.

Contractors here used to bury the over burden on the property but that practice isn't done anymore everything is trucked away. What ever green material like trees and brush its burn't on site.

Also a contractor here had a flat lot like the one you have shown we would use a excavator like your 161 with a clean up bucket and do the whole job.

I do have to say you do make some people jealous that your digging in easy dry conditions. Around here you can be up to your knees in mud in the pouring rain in full rain gear and rubber boots your just as wet from sweating.

Anyhow its good to see your busy :drinkup:

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

We'll them street tires on your loader can't help with traction.....thats a big thing in florida with the contractors burying their junk a day or two before the landscapers come in to final grade and sod..... No big deal in florida,. they don't reallyhave much "soil" to so speak, but they do it up here too and you end up having problems fairly quickly...

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

We'll them street tires on your loader can't help with traction.....thats a big thing in florida with the contractors burying their junk a day or two before the landscapers come in to final grade and sod..... No big deal in florida,. they don't reallyhave much "soil" to so speak, but they do it up here too and you end up having problems fairly quickly...

9. Squizzy246B

randosh is the winner!. Got the sewer main:realmad: . So much for dial-before you dig. The sewer from the house in front had been relocated and the drawing wasn't updated. Not my problem but of course it stuffs up your days work.

I run these crossplies because they are great in the sand and even better on the hard stuff. We only run them at 18-20 Psi for sand work. A lot of guys here run radial RV (4x4) tyres such as Kellys but they get heaps of punctures and only about 350 hours. These babies will do 1000 hrs plus.

10. Squizzy246B

Hey Marc, we don't bury any debris, only the topsoil. If there is one thing I can't stand is diggging out for a retaining wall and finding a whole pile of rubbish. The purpose of the excercise is to get good clean sand for the pad not to bury rubbish. We took all the grass and some roots out with the second load.

GR: 99% of our houses are on concrete slabs. Because there is no clay, lateral subsidence is not the issue. Remove the organic matter and compact, thats the name of the game. I'll have a 1600lb platey and plenty of water on the site today and be testing with a penetrometer. Its all sand.