Earthway Spreader doesn't empty all of the material

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Handidrummed, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Handidrummed

Handidrummed LawnSite Member

At the beginning of the season I bought an Earthway 2150T tow behind spreader. It works good for the most part (I'm mostly just glad I don't have to walk behind a spreader now) but I'm noticing a problem with material not getting emptied out of the hopper as it gets low.

The agitator is just a 2" long pin that sits about 1/2" above the bottom of the hopper. When any material gets below the agitator, even if there is still enough material to cover the bottom of the hopper, it either no longer comes out or not as fast. I have to keep stopping and physically push whatever is left toward the drop holes. This gets mighty irritating as I have a hard time spreading that little bit left toward the end of the spreading.

I have read mixed reviews on Earthway (but also mixed on Lesco, Scotts etc..) so I don't want to give up on it. Due to a disability I can only use a tow behind spreader so that limits my options and I'm not spending $400 for a better quality one.

Is there something else I can do like spraying the hopper with no stick spray so it slides down toward the drop holes better or rig up a better agitator?

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Clean it up really, really good and spray it with a teflon spray.
    you can also bend that agitator so it's closer to the bottom of the hopper.

3. Handidrummed

Thanks. Just bend the sides? It's really not that long. i was thinking of taking the hopper apart and trying to drill a hole lower down so I could mount it that way, but I really shouldn't have to.

4. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film. If you haven't tried it yet, just pm me with a physical shipping address and I'll get a sample can out for free.

5. Handidrummed

My hopper is plastic, not metal.

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

If your material got damp it could cause problems with it flowing as well. Could that be the problem? Has this happened with a variety of products?

7. Handidrummed

No dampness. I put the material in the day I buy it and spread right away. It happens with everything from larger granular ferts to small granular fungicides.

8. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film works as a release agent and won't harm plastic. You might give it a try...

9. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yep.
    Just bend it down, then bend it back out.
    Use pliers - It hurts the fingers.

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, what Dano says. Stuff works great!!!