1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Earthworms: quick question

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by starry night, Apr 24, 2009.

1. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Does the presence of a good quantity of earthworms in soil mean that it is good "working" soil........or not necessarily?
  2. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

chances are good.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Love to see the earthworms...
  4. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely good. A lack of earthworms is definately bad.

They can also be an ecological indicator like frogs. The more healthy frogs in an area the better, the more earthworms in an area the better. If the water is full of toxins then there will be less frogs, same with soil and worms.
  5. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Conventional methods (synthetic) of controlling grubs and lawn/turf predatory insects will harm earthworms. I can attest to this since implementing an organic approach. During heavy rainfall, the earthworms will surface and crawl on our driveway. We carefully pick them up and return them to the lawn. The robins are content with the benefits as well. The downside is the lawn is dug-up from skunks and raccoons in search for them.
  6. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

And after each rain the lawn looks like it has been infested by little ant mounds everywhere... I get a lot of calls about that...

Could you just throw a bucket of night crawlers on any lawn and expect them to start doing their thing automatically? I don't notice any worms in my house/neighborhood... it is only a few years old so I am sure they haven't had a chance to migrate back in especially with me being on a sort of island surrounded by asphalt...
  7. terrapro

No! An earthworm actually is born from egg and lives in that spot for the rest of its life. It will have anywhere from 6-10 surface holes which it will pop up from and grab debris such as leaves and sticks and bring them down into its burrow to deposit into its compost pile. The compost pile is what it actually eats from after it is broken down by beneficial microbes, sort of like an ant colony if you know anything about them. So if you take an earthworm from its life long home it will not set up a new burrow and eventually die. you can however buy earthworm eggs which of course will work because they will hatch and create their life long home.
  8. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I think you just put a big hit on people who sell worms........!
  9. terrapro

Here is some fun worm stuff. We just had a heavy storm roll through yesterday and last night so the earthworms were very active. Here is a few pictures, one of active earthworm holes pushing castings out and two of the earthworms piling debris at the burrow openings to bring down.

10. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i have to disagree with worms not being able to transplant to other area's and still live.
    just my observation. i put them in my house plants all the time. they drop casting out the drainage holes at the bottom, once a week i get a table spoon worth some times from each plant.