Earthworms: quick question

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by starry night, Apr 24, 2009.

1. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the members on here adding the worms to your soil/trees/gardens or are they using them for composting/castings?

There seems to be too much confusion on here between standard earthworms and red wigglers...

2. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

I can not find ANY information supporting my reply so consider my comment false.

Sorry for possible misinformation. I must have dreamed it.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

We found a lot of worms in the gardens today so I am happy for now...

4. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

case ur wondering it's not drainage debris. this is the bottom of my drain dish.

a plants cast.jpg

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Thats funny. Whenever I see someone else installing a lawn and the soil is black I always wonder where they are cause I know it cant be GA!

6. DeepGreenLawn

Exactly... our red clay is unmistakable...

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Red clay is what he had up here as well. But that was back in the old days. We have black clay now and not just in gardens and lawns. This is farm country and we have changed the red clay to black clay by the square mile. Red and/or white sands into black sand even moreso.

I am specifically changing it further into a clay/sand loam, one lawn and garden at a time. If domesticated soils continue to look like parent material, then we are not good stewards our soils.

We were never afraid to till, infact that is how you mixed in the OM 8" deep back in the 1930's. Never afraid to spread uncomposted manure over acres and acres of ground. Then when 'cover crops' were added to the strategies, tilling became even more important, and our soils benefitted immensely.

I just can't understand how a little area like a lawn creates so much difficulty.
    Is it perhaps because: ...Today we are afraid to till and afraid to mix soils and can't picture in our minds what earthworms actually do in the soil.
    After all, earthworms have killed our forests. :laugh:

8. cgaengineer

I am getting there with my lawn, one slow year at a time! I have gotten parts of my lawn to the point I can even stick a screwdriver into them!

9. DeepGreenLawn

LOL... I heard that... aerating sometimes I have to look and make sure I'm not on the concrete...

10. cgaengineer

My front lawn really needs to be aerated about 4 times per season and top dressed a few times and I think it will turn around, rear lawn is doing good though...in fact it was the first to green up this season.

Between last 2 years drought and grubs last year my front lawn is in bad shape, nearly weed free but in bad shape. Hopefully this application of manure will bring it around.