Earthworms

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scweedman, Mar 1, 2007.

1. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had success killing earth worms. Looking for away to get rid
    of them. Have a customer with a serious mole problem.

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Earthworms are very beneficial to a lawn. Why not just get rid of the moles with Talphrid? Some areas earthworms are protected and cannot be eradicated.

3. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

And earthworms aren't the only thing in the lawn that the moles are after.

4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Another thing that is begining to make me think about all of the stuff that we use on the yards, is the bee population dying off. 1/3 of all of our food is linked to bees and their polinating the blooms. Has anyone ever done any research to see if we are affectingi the bees. True, most of the bees are dying because of the bee mite but it still concerns me.
    Glad to see SCWEEDMAN on the board again--been a while

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Your probably killing enough earthworms with synthetic ferts and pesticides. A mole's diet consists of earthworms, snails, slugs, and insects (both adult and larval stages). Try using Talparid or something like Whole Control (castor oil liquid) or Mole Out (granular, get it at Lowe's up here). The castor oil makes the soil taste bad and upsets their stomachs.

Here's a link to the benefits of earthworms:
    http://planetfood.org/articles/wormbenefits.html

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We have areas around here, where the earthworm population literally does damage. I just posted on this a short time ago. What is happening is, many of our customers' lawns are reaching the point that they can't even be waked upon without the instability in the steps. I've had customers complain about how rough and bumpy there lawn is getting, to the point that it even affects their cut with their push mowers. Once in a great while it is ant damage, but the vast majority of times, it is from worms. Rolling has limited effect - even when the ground is soft, and that only lasts a short time. I think we are reaching a population level that is so abundant, that damage is reaching threshold levels. Not only does it affect the surface of the ground to the point that it is physically hard to negotiate, but we believe that it is certainly having a negative effect on our pre-emergent barriers, as well. While there is nothing labeled for earthworms, there are products out there that will control them. I'm not allowed to speak on that, though....

7. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been busy with pre-emergents round 1 and its just getting started.
    I want to think talprid works but not sure. Like runner said the worms on this account are the worst i have ever seen. And the moles are having a field day. The yard
    is wet and shady. I'm wondering if orethene will work.

8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

two apps of seven 14 days apart. one will kill whats there and the second will kill the new hatched capsal

9. EGL&L

EGL&L LawnSite Member

As a former golf course super, this was one of the biggest problems I faced. Imagine fairway cut ryegrass at .450", covered in earthworm castings. The golf ball just doesn't roll, and it doesn't sit well.
    How do you legally control a beneficial when it is causing so much damage. Search the site of Golf Course Management magazine, they have done many university studies showing what chemicals to avoid, as they are harmful to earthworms. Just a bit sneaky!
    Yes, sevin is harmful to worms, but will require repeat applications. I started a fairway topdressing program, incorporating sand into the soil over each winter. You make a surface app, and it will settle into the soil over the winter months. The angular sand is irritating to the worms, and they will move out, over time.
    Good luck.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Couldn't you just do some suplhur apps and as the worms come out, capture them and transport them to another location? Or, open up a bait stand.