earwigs and lady bugs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LARSON, Mar 7, 2001.

1. LARSON

LARSON LawnSite Member

Any one have problens with these?
    How do you get rid of them?

2. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't seen an earwig in years so can't help you there.

But what kind of problem could you possibly be having with lady bugs?? They are one of the best natural predators of other insects there is. IMO.

Jim

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

We had a infestation of lady bugs last year in a developement about 5 miles away-there were literally millions of them,inside and out of the house,on any one wall there were at least 1000 of them.On of my friends had them-I have never seen them like that-and honestly if it were my house id spray them too-i cant see the food supply being there for that many of them.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on where the earwigs are - inside or outside. With ladybugs you just wait a few days and they`ll be gone. Ladybugs are by nature solitary, but they hibernate as a community. If they are visible now and moving, they are just waking up for spring, and will disappear in a few days.

5. LARSON

LARSON LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I personal don't have any problem them but there are alot of people in the area that do.

6. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

I don't know anything about earwigs, but you don't want to get rid of the lady bugs, they are the most benificial insect there is to have in a garden.

7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I always say to the ones that cant take the sight of ladybugs to suck them up with a vaccum and empty the bag far from the house.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What you are seeing MAY not be ladybugs. They are a close relative called the ladybeetle. They look just like the ladybug except for the spots on the back of the head. The beetle has a white spot formation on the back of their head, while the ladybug does not. Thay are also just a teeny bit different in color, too. The ladybug is very beneficial to the gearden, as they feed mostly on harmful insects. The ladybeetle, on the other hand, does not feed on most harmful insects, and as a matter of fact, they BITE! I have never in my life been biten by a ladybug, and this past year, I was bit a few different times. That is when I did a little research, and found out what was happening. Here in Michigan, we were being overrun by these little imposters and they were found EVERYWHERE! Shortly after I found this out, there was a story on the news about them explaining the situation. This has been a public service announcement. :)

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Earwigs are beneficial insects also They eat Mostly other insects. But get a bad name cause of how ugly they are. We have a problem with lady bugs here too but not the native ones. The european lady bugs (i think that is where they come from) are more orange in color rather than dark red as are the native lady bugs. Turns out they breed like crazy but are wimps when it comes to the cold. They swarm around my house in fall and you cant be outside without them all over you on cold days. The floor of my garage has hundreds of dead ones that just cant survive the cold.

10. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

We had lots of Earwigs last year in central NC. I read a few things about them last year because everyone was calling the Ag agnet here and asking about them. I've got a lawn workshop to attend Sat. I'll try to ask about them. We had them in our house. You don't want to know how they got their name. I couldn't sleep for a few nights after hearing it.
    Grateful