1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Easiest Commercial Account I Ever Got

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Oct 14, 2005.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I am a cubscout leader, and my den just had its first den meeting this year at my house. We had several new boys join, so I ended up talking to their dads, whiling waiting on the meeting to start. One of the dads' is a plant manager for a good size company out in one of our industrial areas. He saw the sign on my truck, and asked me if I worked for the company - I told him no, I own it. He was a little surprise at first, then asked me if I would be interested in taking over the lawncare contract out at his plant starting next year. He stated the price he felt was right, and I knowing which plant it was, said sure, I will take it. He said great. Shook hands on it, and made up the contract - right there on the spot. Easiest job I ever got - especially a com. account. And I still had 5 minutes to spare for the start of the den meeting!

Has anyone else ever had this easy of a job getting a commercial account? What about the hardest?
  2. WalkerMan20

WalkerMan20 LawnSite Member

I remember one of the easiest accounts I got was when I was cutting a residential yard in a neighborhood and somone drove up while I was mowing and asked me to do their yard right across the street. They werent worried about the price they said, they just wanted it to look good. The said they have been jealous of the neighbors yard and how good it looked. I cutt there yard and we settled on a price. I have had there accoount ever since. It is also to get accounts that are close to each other just because there is no traveling time.

3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

everyone once in a while a neighbor will ask to have theirs done but you had a comm account fall right into your lap good for you
  4. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats, allegany
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Easiest account i got was the first time i went to do a new clients for the first time, like i had only been there once before to give an estimate, i hadn't even unloaded my equipment when the neighbor came over and said he wanted his done weekly also! AND, he doubled what i quoted him at!

Congrats AlleganyLawnCare!!
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

neighbor to one of my clients was manager at a perkins resturaunt. they were not happy I went out looked and gave a price. got the job same day. two months later got the hotel on the ajoining property. six months later got the other two perkins in the city.... Wham bam thank you ma'am...

Its fun when its easy, and its easy when its fun...
  7. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks guys! It does make this job a heck alot more bearable when a gravey contract falls from the sky into your lap.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Almost 100% of the commericial we get is exactly like you have experienced. My son gave a guy a tow on the lake and it turned out to be resturant owner and we got his business. Most business comes from people you meet at bars and resturants. A littler easier if you are young and single, I am fortunately not the salesman for our company.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Just like word of mouth.

I had one Wal-Mart, district manager guy got me 2 others.

I have 2 banks, contractor guy that does business at the bank gets me 3 strip malls.

I go to have lunch, developer guy pulls up, sees the lettered trailer, wants a bid on mowing the new development he's putting in.

You know you've arrived when the work comes to you.
  10. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My biggest comm accout is a attorney .My wife became the office mgr 6 yrs ago (she left in 2002 ) I got the contract for both office an home . still have it .