Easiest mower to change blades on?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Oasislawnman, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Oasislawnman

Oasislawnman LawnSite Member

What mowers do you guys think are the easiest/quickest to change the blades on. I have an older Toro Z225 and i can change the blades just holding the blade with my hand, don't need a bar or something to block the blade, I love that, I also have a new Hustler Super Z and I hate changing the blade as you have to find the right angle for the bar to block the blade.

What do you guys think?

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I can have the blades on my Scag changed within 10 minutes and NOT use a jack! :weightlifter:

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We can change blades and scrap the decks in a few mins. We carry cordless impacts to change them out.

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I imagine the easiest next to a 21 inch mower would be the front mounted decks that have quick flip up ability. Always wanted one of those.

5. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Countryclipper!

6. I don't have any problems with any of them.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Walker and Scag Cougar....tip up decks.

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

It is not the mower :nono:, it is the process. ;)
    Use an impact wrench and a farm jack (or Jungle jack if you have the money) and you will not have trouble changing blades on any mower.... Simple... :hammerhead:

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

:confused: How the heck do you not use a jack? ya got super human strength or something? On second though you have to be a stock holder in Wheaties's right :D

I use a small car jack to lift my Phazer off the ground and use a wrench on top, the assembly has a space for it and on the bottom a ratchet/breaker bar combo. I need to get a cordless impact though, that'll make the blade changing process enjoyable and not a PITA.

10. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Its not much of a problem for me but I would guess on a zero turn it would be one of those Grasshoppers with a front deck that flips up.