Easiest/quickest way to pull bushes..

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by IHI, Mar 28, 2007.

1. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

So, what are you all using? A skid, backhoe or what to pull juniper/other bushes and entire root systems? I've tackled a few lately, but was wondering what the best method is?
    Thanks for your input.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

truck works pretty good too. im going to take a guess and say either a skid or a backhoe would make life easier. depends on the bush i guess and the area its in.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've pulled many a juniper with a Mini equiped with a thumb.

I've even pulled some huge ones using a tiny 4,000 lb mini.

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

A excavator with a thumb would probably be the easiest I don't have one so I try get a chain as low as I can and use my truck. If I need to I will use a snatch block and cable if its in a place where I can't get my truck to then a comealong which isn't my first choice.

5. talonracn49

talonracn49 LawnSite Member

f250 and a tow strap. B2600 and a ramsey 5k winch. chevy 1500 and a tow strap. Thats about it.

6. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

dig the backhoe bucket to just under the ball then pop with the curl. set the bushes or whatever in piles then pick up with grapple and dump. fun easy money.

7. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

I use what ever i have on that particular job.:laugh:

8. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Skid with combo bucket. Tough bushes pull up if you don't break them off first! I pulled a lot of florida holly and ficus bushes that way.

9. IHI

IHI LawnSite Member

For some reason or another I've had about 4 requests in the last 3 days. How are you guys charging? per bush (range?) or per hour? I've been thinking of charging per bush.

10. Kepple Services

Kepple Services LawnSite Senior Member

I have done a few bushes here lately... about 40 on my last job i just completed.. I used my mini EX.. I just bid the job as a complete unit.. not aper bush or per hour rate...