1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Easiest starting trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nathan, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I am looking for some real advice(the truth, not just brand loyalty) on trimmers that will start easily, within the first few pulls every time even after it is broken in. I have used echo 2100 2400 2600, Stihls, Shindaiwas and none of them will consistently start easily. I do know how to adjust the carbs and don't have a problem with how these trimmers work but I am sure that some of you have experience with other brands.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've never made any kind of carb adjustment on my Shindaiwa trimmers. They always start in 1 or 2 pulls. My Echo hedge trimmer and Stihl chainsaw are a little more fussy to start.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Shindaiwa for me. My dealer told me if it doesn't start in 1 or 2 pulls, there is something wrong with it. If mine starts acting up a bit and not starting right away, I put in a new plug and your back to one or two pulls again.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Nathan,you need a kawasaki trimmer-you have to pull it 2 or 3 times the first time that day-or tickle the primer and its lit in 1 or 2.After that every single time-not once has it failed to fire-1 st time-and ive got the idle a little on the low side,which usually makes it harder to start.This thing never,ever loads up.you can set it on the ground and let it idle for 10 minutes-pick it up and it wont even sputter,itll rev clean like you had just wound it out.I am imperssed with how good this thing runs-very light and quite too=only 1 bad thing is the guard is a little big-might want to trim it or remove it,I live with it.I have the KBL-26,it weighs 10 lbs even.Lesco is picking them up and putting there name on them-so look there too.this trimmer has almost zero vibration,and is very well balanced.
  5. Nathan

Nathan LawnSite Member

I am surprised by others success with the shindaiwas. I am running t260's and have a tough time starting, even if I pump and choke it every time. I even have a hard time starting it if I put it down for more than 10 minutes. Maybe there is something wrong with it, it's not very old but to be honest I don't feel it is worth taking a trimmer in to get tuned up, might as well buy a new one.
  6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ECHO SRM-2100 and i took it completely apart a few weeks ago and cleaned it up real good. Now it starts on the very FIRST try every time (even after not running her for a few days). I prime it 4 times, switch it to cold start and pull(I do not hold trigger while pulling) and it starts right up and while its still running in cold start i simply switch it to run and rev it a few seconds and she's ready to rumble! Before I cleaned her out, it would take me two or three pulls in cold start to get her reving then she would kill a second later, then i would switch to run and most of the time she'd start right up, but ever since i cleaned it, it has started and ran better than it did brand new (no exagerration).

[Edited by Vibe Ray on 11-02-2000 at 02:37 AM]
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 Echo 2601 trimmers and the PE 2400 Edger along with Echo blowers ranging from 2100 to PB60's, they start good not exellent, although we just got a local shindawa dealer and I think Im going to by a T-260 or a T-270 to compare cause I have been hearing these are nice models.
  8. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I have two of the old green machine commercial models(At least 10 years old) Start on second pull. New Red Max trimmer(same engine co. as old green machine) start on second pull. Red Max hedge trimmer, Back pack blowe- start on second pull. Leave gas in all winter and fire them up in spring.
  9. sunrise

sunrise Banned

Shindaiwa for me it starts in 2 or 3 pulls everytime
  10. mowerguys

mowerguys LawnSite Member

I use the redmax bc2300. I have had it for 3 years and it starts on the second pull everytime. One pull on choke. Then pull with the choke off and it works every time. Redmax it is an awesome trimmer.