Easiest way to bring in your first business??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Volwrath, May 23, 2008.

1. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys think the easiest way to bring in your first customers is and after you have a small customer base, how do you expand. Where is the most money residential or commercial and how do you obtain each??:confused:

2. xtoyz

xtoyz LawnSite Member

Handing out fliers seems to work, I plan on getting some printed up this coming week. Gonna work on the design and put back a few beers over the weekend, and start handing them out Monday I think. Don't hand out 5000 fliers if you can only do ten lawns though, then you're just gonna get bombarded by people and if you turn them down they make it a point to never look at your services again.

3. Volwrath

Volwrath LawnSite Member

thanks xtoyz. any other takers??

4. Irby Lawn Care

Irby Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I started up a week ago and put an add up on Craigs List and posted a flyer at my full-time job...5 accounts so far, and I have turned away 3. 10 is the max that I can take right now, so I am getting there. I started a bit late as well, so the pickings are a bit slim...

5. xtoyz

xtoyz LawnSite Member

Mind if I ask what equipment you're starting up with?

6. Irby Lawn Care

Not at all. I've got a Toro 36" WB, Toro 22" Push mower, String Trimmer, Hand held blower, Rakes, shovels, broom, etc. Pull it around in my 2007 F-150. Only taking 10 accounts right now due to my full time job. I travel some and dont want to have to always be playing catch-up when I get back.

7. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

What kind of accounts do you have (size, tasks, prices), how close are they?

Looking at starting the same way as you next year, (taking this year to learn, gather equipment and get myself in better health) Thanks

8. ffjd508

ffjd508 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm new I'm a full time firefighter and i a'm wanting to start my own lawn care buisness. My goal is to get enough clientel to pay for my equipment in the first season. How is the best way to get the word out. I have been told that if you put a add in the paper people tend to think that you are no count.

9. Irby Lawn Care

Most of my accounts are Cut, Trim, Edge, Blow...approximately 1/4 acre or less. $40-45 per cut. They are either near my house or clustered in an area about 10 miles away. I turned away 2 customers this week, just too far out of the way for me to go with the size my business is and the cost to travel. I will do other work as well, just have to quote it.

I have done one nasty, nasty cleanup of an area behind a privacy fence that was about 50yds x 6 feet wide. Took me, a Bank Blade, weedeater, and rake 3 hours to get it knocked out. I have some experience doing that type stuff, so I got it done quickly. I am also doing some beds for her. Moved a tree in one of my regular accounts yard.

I am still new at running my own business and have a lot to learn...Like driving out in the middle of no-where just to realize that I cant justify the cost to go out there and do the work...not wirth my time, and then eating the cost of driving so far out to do the quote...

I worked for a landscaper through high school and college. We had the contract for all areas outside the gates at the International Airport and some residentials as well. So I am not new to the work, just to the pricing and running of the business side. Like I said, I have a full time job that keeps me very busy, but I love working outdoors and love cutting grass, plus the money is fairly good right now (at least here), so why not.:cool2:

10. ELC Lawn Care

ELC Lawn Care LawnSite Member

what is the frequency of the accounts? 7,10, 14 day?