Easiest way to bypass a master valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by muddywater, Nov 3, 2011.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a situation where I need to bypass a mastervalve on a campus. The main line now has two clocks on it and they did not want to pay for additional wiring for the additional clock to operate the mastervalve.

The valve is a 1 1/2" hunter. I would like to make the valve permanently open. I am worried if I just crack the solenoid someone might shut it off and then 20 pallets of grass dies. Is there a way to macgyver the solenoid so that it keeps the valve open? I was thinking it might be possible to remove the plunger on the Hunter solenoid but it looks like it is not meant to come out. Any tricks?

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Macgyver would gut it.

3. muddywater

have you gutted a hunter solenoid with success? or are you talking about gutting the diaphram?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not the solenoid, the guts of the valve. I personally wouldn't do it that way, but others have.

5. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

just take the plunger out of the solenoid.

Or put a program in the controller that controls the master valve on an unused station and program for the duration of the hours when the other controller needs to run.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I don't recall the Hunter solenoids having capability to remove the plungers. But I've never tried either. How about cutting out the center of the diaphragm, or removing the spring?

7. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

The solenoid is just like on a RB PEB..... take a pair of needle nose pliers and remove the white plastic tab that keeps the plunger captive and you're good to go.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ya cant just cut it out of there?

9. muddywater

Thanks. I am going to try that.

10. muddywater

This isn't an hourly bill. I would much rather replace a solenoid.