easiest way to clean underneath walkbehind decks and sharpen blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moremow, Dec 8, 2006.

1. moremow

moremow LawnSite Member
    from roanoke

I am leaning strongly toward an exmark turf tracer purchase in Jan. 2007. Since I have not owned a walk behind before could someone tell me your normal procedure for getting under there and cleaning out grass buildup underneath the deck. And also how do you guys typically do your blade sharpening procedure on these as well. I was wondering if i needed to get a certain set of ramps to roll it upon etc. Just wanted to know how the pros go about it so that i can follow in your foot steps. Thanks,,Moremow,,Roanoke Va

2. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I just lift the front and put a block under it, set the brake though, I've been known to forget and it drifts on me. As far as blade sharpening, I'm not sure what u are asking, I sharpen my own blades, cant see taking them to someone to do it, but i do see some people that do.

4. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Tip it up on the trailer gate it it is steep enough it will stay up on it's own, if not use a jack stand, not sure if you are asking how to sharpen blaeds on the machine? If so don't take them off use a vise and grinder or grinding wheel.

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

WhenI first started I sharpened my own blades with a die grinder....then I let teh shop do em...and then I got a blade sharpener......

Do it righe the first time...get a blade sharpener....Yeah it well set you back a few hundred. but well worth it..

Most walkbehind can be lifter very easily int he front and just put a jack stand under the deck to hold it up...

6. stumpslawncare

stumpslawncare LawnSite Member

I hook the front of the mower to a hydraulic hoist in our shop with a strap and lift the hoist. This allows you to raise the mower and have plenty of room to work underneath the deck.

7. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

i 2nd the jungle jack. i use mine on my z, wb, and my 21''.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I turn the mower up side down on the driveway. Then I start the mower and start the blades. Then I use a large flat file and slowly lower the file down until it touches the spinning blades. Yea its dangerous and sharpens the bottom side of the blades but its fun to see how many fingers you have left after sharpening.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You trying to get someone killed? :laugh:

10. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

I can't believe no one has told of the wonders of Fluid Film. Why worry about cleaning the deck just spray it with Fluid Film.