Easiest way to dispose of Soil ??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dogowner, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Dogowner

Dogowner LawnSite Member

Ok guys I'm a newb and just starting my business so I have no trailer or dump bed yet. I'm tilling about 1,200 sqft of dirt this weekend and need to dispose of about 3" of the soil (make room for new top soil). I have a standard toyota pickup bed which I will be putting the dirt in after I wheelbarrow it from the backyard.

My question is once I get to the dumps to dispose of soil its flat and I believe the only way to get the dirt out of the bed is to shovel it again back out onto the ground. Did this with the old sod and it was a pain in the a**.
    I was thinking of maybe trying to bag the soil before putting it into the bed of the truck that way I can just roll the bags of soil out of the bed at the dumps.

Any other ideas or ways to make it easier on my back then shoveling the soil out of back of truck?
    I appreciate any help !!!

2. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

I think the bags will break and make a bigger mess.. As I can see, having done this a few times.. your options are to shovel it out or rent a dump trailer.. If you have the soil ready and some help you might be able to get away with half a day or even the minimum, probably 2 or 3 hrs. One time I came across a guy doing a retaining wall and he came and picked up my excess dirt as fill.

Good luck..

3. Shilohlandscaping

Shilohlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Norcal

BTW... 3" at 1200 sq ft might be a lot more than you think.. try an area calculator from any landscape materials site.. thats a lot of truckloads for a small truck...

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Post ad for free fill dirt and let people come and get it if there's that much. When they install desert landscapes here they make double money off of it sometimes, selling the dirt they take off or if there is a lawn they fertilize the heck out of it and pay the owner to put a lot of water on it then use a sod cutter to remove the lawn, sell it and then put the gravel down. Trick is to make your jobs pay for themselves. I talked to this guy that put in a grass lawn that pulled off all the gravel from the pre-existing lawn and in turn sold that gravel to a guy with a dump truck that in turn sold it to a customer. Why pay to put dirt in a landfill? Sell the stuff, or give it away. SOme time on the phone may make you some cash instead of costing you $.

5. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

Bury it!

sorry,
    Joe :)

6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check out the "LoadHandler."

7. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

try a heavy duty tarp under the soil and when you get to the dump have one of the loaders pull it off. or even a peice of plywood witha chain attached under the soil would work. Never tryed this my self but in theory it would work.

8. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

or you could rent a dump truck for the job.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Possibly sub it out to someone that has the right equipment.

Other then that, your nest best step is probably the Loadhandler that KenH suggested. Here's the link to their site: www.loadhandler.com

You can get this pretty cheap on ebay usually.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

by my calculations, that's approx 18 yds, or 36,000 lbs of soil. i say why on earth are you removing it?