Easiest way to install Sleeves under Curves?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by North Ga, May 9, 2006.

1. North Ga

North Ga LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

We had a job today where we had to install 14 10 foot sleeves for irrigation.Its a new bank and the parking lot is pretty big.The contractor went ahead and poured the the curves before we did the sleeves :rolleyes: :mad:

We took the skid steer with a trencher to install the sleeves before he paves the parking alot.Of course we had to dig under the curves which was a huge PAIN because the ground underneath was either hard red clay or concrete.It was time consuming and hard work with a trencher shovel.My arms are still ringing :dizzy:

My question is what would you guys have used in this situation(under the curve) to speed the process up?

Thanks in advance

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Charge extra and then have a helper do it. That always makes my arms feel better.:) Kidding, sort of...have done it though. I would either do it the old fashion way,-pick axe and shovel- or use a tractor backhoe. Possible a fence post auger on both sides of the curb would help. I also really hate when they overlay asphalt curbing over the edge of pavement and it sicks out on the grass side under the new curb, and you have to pic it out with a bar to put in your heads. Loads of fun...:rolleyes:

3. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

why not drill a hole in the curb with a rotary hammer or would it make the sleeve too shallow?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You answered your own question.

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you just get the contract for this job? Most commercial projects want the sleeves in before the "Curbs" are poured. If you attend the construction meetings you will be told when you can set sleeves. Usually before the base material goes down. The GC will most times set the radius points of the "Curbs" and you can lay in the sleeves.

If you were running into concrete, then your sleeves were too shallow. They should be down level with the bottom of the concrete. That will put you about 16" below finish grade of the paving.

If it was the GC's fault, backcharge him. Might be too late for that since you already did the work. If it was your fault suck it up and learn from it.

6. jerryrwm

Depending on the job, most GC's would run you off the job for putting holes in their brand new curb. Especially if it was big enough to fit a 4" sleeve.

7. This used to happen to me all the time in Arizona until I started calling the Super right after being awarded the contract. Even then, the grade would change 25 times and our sleeves would end up 5 feet deep....oh well.

Don't use a pick axe...and please do NOT try to use an auger sideways...sheesh. My guys swore by the huge digging bars and a grinder/generator to keep it sharp. Make sure you have the utilities marked though...ouch!

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We'll trench or backhoe on each side and then use an electric jackhammer to finish off the area directly under the curb if it's real hard.

9. Rainmaker

Rainmaker LawnSite Member

We faded away from installing sleeves before pavement we now install most of our sleeves via directional boring unless it is in a tight spot that we cant set the rig up to shoot the sleeve thru

10. jerryrwm

Little tough to be competitive isn't it? Unless you can bore and install 4" sleeves for less money than you can trench them in. And what about 6" sleeves? And I would even venture a guess that a 2" sleeve can't be bored and installed under a 30' drive for less money and labor than trenching it.

I prefer to be in when the subbase is in, trench the sleeves in with 18" cover to the base, let them compact and ready the pavement. Sleeves will be about 24" deep and no worries about boring.

Personal preference is a trenched in sleeve over a bored sleeve every day. And sidewalks 3'-5' aren't much of a worry. If I can lay a sleeve before they pour, great! If not we'll get it boring or driving.