Easiest way to start a lawn mowing business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Alex G, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Alex G

Alex G LawnSite Member

I been asking around and found quotes for general liability insurance. But what else do i need? i'm 17 years old and i don't want to be a corp. or an LLC just under my name. I will strictly be doing lawn cuts and leafs in the fall.

Do I need to change the plates on my truck to commercial and get commercial auto insurance if I pull a trailer with a lawn mower and equipment on it?

Also if I don't put signage on the side of my truck will i get face fines?

Anybody know of any great insurance companies that give good rates. i'm in NJ my lowest quote so far has been $715 for a 1million policy

I am completely new at all of this and i want to do it right without going over the top my first year. I just need information on how to get by on all this legal stuff. I posted before but just want more opinions on how to do all of this.
    Any information on anything would greatly be appreciated.

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

WELL it's GREAT that yo dont want ot do this. Becaseu you CANT...
    a minor cant enter into a contract

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

easiest way to start is to get a mower and start cutting grass.

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

My friend..... I would never advise someone BREAK the law.....

BUT... IF I were you. I would put on the little boy act. MOW lawns. and have your customers pay you in CASH.

you REALLY dont understand how much above you are RIGHT NOW. above prob. all of the other 17 year olds.
    this is Something to be VERY PROUD OF......

GOOD for you. and I'm behind you.....

6. Alex G

Alex G LawnSite Member

If I do go under the radar.. I still worry about Liablity insurance. No matter what, I think I should have a min. amount of insurance. do you have any clue where I could get some or where to look for a cheaper company. i already got a quote for $715 for a 1 mill policy.

7. crichardson

crichardson LawnSite Member

No less than one mill

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think u can get it... I'm not sure on that.....

BUT you really dont need that much.

I dont think you will be able to do commerical.

BUT PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG......
    you may consider putting the company in your dad's name or mom;s name if u do this BE DAMMED SURE TO LLC OR INC......

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you don't need insurance to be legal unless you mow businesses. if you mow residential you can just pay for something if you break it with the money you've made. just be smart and safe and you shouldn't break anything anyways.

10. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

hes in NJ he probably needs insurance to get a license (if you need one in NJ)