Lawn Care Forum banner

East Texas Proscapes, LLC

70K views 245 replies 23 participants last post by  Woodman1 
#1 ·
Starting my picture thread for my company. Been in business for a while but decided to break out on my own. Was going to put up a few more pictures, but computer is not letting me. Will try again.

Plant Nature Natural landscape Tree Wood

See less See more
#27 ·
1. A yard we perform the mowing maintenance soon to be weed, feed & pest as well. 2 Plan for an upcoming job (was going to post landscape sheet as well, but didn't have luck getting the picture to upload.) 3 & 4. A job we will be starting monday (unless we get delayed by rain tomorrow and Friday). This was installed this past spring. No compost and topsoil. Customer was bid weed barrier. No weed barrier. Also she was bid azaleas. No azaleas and only about 1/2 the amount of plants originally discussed. (Drawings are great. No confusion on plant material etc.)The guys stone work looks pretty good though. 5. St. Augustine decline. Green grass in the middle of the damage is zoysia. (Decline is some "not fun" news to deliver to a homeowner.

Plant Building Tree Natural landscape Branch

Rectangle Schematic Font Map Parallel

Plant Property Building Leaf Road surface

Plant Window Road surface Tree House

Plant Tree Land lot Grass Building

#33 ·
S.A.D. is a virus that many strains of St. Augustine (I think centipede as well) can get that causes chlorosis and die-back in St. Augustine lawns. No chemical treatment for it. Only "cure" is to cut out with sod cutter and lay reisitant variety. Floratam, Raleigh and Seville are options. A lot of folks will call it brown patch or some other disease. Truth is, it occurs when conditions are not favorable to diseases. Under close inspection, no disease symptoms exist.

#39 ·
Finished phase one on the reno on this landscape. A few before & afters. There are quite a few drift roses in the before pictures that we relocated in the landscape, since they weren't getting enough sun. The person who first sold them to them Charged $40 per 3 gal shrub. They paid retail at home depot and then retailed the retail price. No class. Anyways, a real landscape company came in and fixed it all. We will probably address the italian cypresses in the next phase. One doesn't look all that great at all. Not a big "cemetary tree" fan anyways. Enjoy. Here are a few of the before pictures.

Plant Property Window Building Road surface

Plant Building Window Property Tree

Plant Green Botany Vegetation Hedge

Plant Building Window Land lot Fixture

#42 ·
Picked this guy up the other day. 12 years old. 7.3L Diesel (pre-emissions, yes please) Only 83,000 miles. Get to know a dealer well, do good work for him at a reasonable price. Tell him what you want and just wait. I think it worked out pretty good. New B&W hitch in back, little touch up paint on some door dings and ready to roll.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

#44 ·
Wow, what a great truck! How much did it cost it you don't mind telling?

Good job on the cleanup. The ivy looks like crap on that house to me, but if the check clears and the customer is happy that's all that matters....:cool2:
Thanks. Gave arround 12.5k for the truck.

Not much of a fan of the ivy either. I would of been tearing it out with everything else, if it were me. Have to say that is the first time I have ever purchased english ivy at a nursery (to fill back in some of what had been removed) in 9 years of my career. Probably not the last, but certainly don't want to make it a regular.

#45 ·
Pretty good deal on that 7.3. Too bad it's 2 wheel drive though!

I notice you brought in 14 yards of compost to one job, you must get that material for a decent price down there for that? Most people around here (that I've worked with so far) aren't willing to pay the extra cost to remove the existing soil & haul in new compost type soil but the growing conditions are much better for plants.

I also really like the idea of your picture on the post card as well as something about having a degree in horticulture. My post cards next year will certainly have a picture of myself as well as something to do with stating I have a degree in horticulture because I will have graduated.

#46 ·
Pretty good deal on that 7.3. Too bad it's 2 wheel drive though!

I notice you brought in 14 yards of compost to one job, you must get that material for a decent price down there for that? Most people around here (that I've worked with so far) aren't willing to pay the extra cost to remove the existing soil & haul in new compost type soil but the growing conditions are much better for plants.

I also really like the idea of your picture on the post card as well as something about having a degree in horticulture. My post cards next year will certainly have a picture of myself as well as something to do with stating I have a degree in horticulture because I will have graduated.
Thanks! Not too worried about the 2WD. My truck will be 4wd whenever I replace mine, but so far haven't needed to landscape in a muddy swamp yet. For pulling mowers and materials I have been thoroughly pleased with it.

As far as the compost, I agree, it is rare that a customer is willing to go to the expense of such an extreme excavation. This customer was willing to do so since they were very upset that the last one was done half way. They would of rather the guy admit he didn't know what he was doing when he bid the job and ask for more money than 1/2 way do it and then have to hire me to come in and fix it. (I wasn't in business at the time otherwise would of had the job from the get go.)

I do have a good bulk supplier, probably no better than yours, but the customer had place for the excavated dirt to go on site. That saved a good bit of expense right there.

Good luck with your last few semesters of school. I have no regrets of going to college. It has gotten me a lot of notoriety and publicity in regards to new jobs.

#47 ·
Wish I could take some credit for the ads. My wife is a marketing guru and photoshop wiz. Will pass the compliment.

#48 ·
Thanks! Not too worried about the 2WD. My truck will be 4wd whenever I replace mine, but so far haven't needed to landscape in a muddy swamp yet. For pulling mowers and materials I have been thoroughly pleased with it.

As far as the compost, I agree, it is rare that a customer is willing to go to the expense of such an extreme excavation. This customer was willing to do so since they were very upset that the last one was done half way. They would of rather the guy admit he didn't know what he was doing when he bid the job and ask for more money than 1/2 way do it and then have to hire me to come in and fix it. (I wasn't in business at the time otherwise would of had the job from the get go.)

I do have a good bulk supplier, probably no better than yours, but the customer had place for the excavated dirt to go on site. That saved a good bit of expense right there.

Good luck with your last few semesters of school. I have no regrets of going to college. It has gotten me a lot of notoriety and publicity in regards to new jobs.
And I don't think you will be dealing with plowing anytime soon either :laugh:

A buddy of mine I go to school with started his own company a month ago (worked for his dad's large, $1.2 million lawn company for the past few years and wanted to start off on his own). He got 500 or 1000 flyers printed and had a short bio paragraph that went into detail about him being a younger guy (same age as me, 21) and I told him to take it out as in my eyes I think people would belittle you and think you'll work for $10/hour if you have that on a piece of advertising media. He had his 16 yr old girl neighbor drive around handing them out and got 500 out just putting them into newspaper boxes, got 10 calls and closed 8 of 10 jobs. Mostly fall clean ups, one decent retaining wall, and all priced accordingly as he ran his numbers by our teacher who owns a very profitable high end install company. Another one being a large patio & retaining wall w/ stairs project that him & I teamed up on and we just wrapped up last week. It's a good thing he didn't listen to me :laugh:

Thanks, I have one semester after this sem and it's only 2 classes, I'm adding on a few accounting classes as well, I'm thinking about pursuing a degree in that but I'm not sure. I need to buy a house of my own with some land, my parents aren't exactly happy with my equipment taking up room. But it'll be so weird being done with school. I'm only 21, so it has basically half of my entire life.
I've had some people question me as to why I went to school for hort/landscape and I explain my reasons and plans, usually I have their heads spinning with what my aspirations are.
I'd say 95% of the guys in the industry don't have a formal education in hort/landscape and of that 95% probably 70% are clueless when it comes to plants, trees, and hardscapes, not to mention the accounting, finance, investing, & business side of things. I took those classes when I was at UND right after high school in fall 09 through fall 2010, that helped me out a lot.

#49 ·
I forget that you guys up north use the 4wd for plows. Usually, only reason a guy in the south gets it is because it looks cooler. Or maybe because he's going to hunt and fish out it... Which don't get me wrong, will prob happen out of mine as well. 4wd just normally gets me deeper into what ever mess it should "get me out of." 2wd I just know to stay out.

I don't know about the 70% deal. There are a lot of guys that do very well without. You can learn everything that I learned in my Hort classes in the workplace. But comming from small town east Texas, I probably wouldn't of learned it if I wouldn't of gone to college.
Posted via Mobile Device

#51 ·
Cleaning up the phone photo album. Been a busy winter as well.

Log cabin landscape is a little thin in places, that is where we left room for annuals. Will be installing some landscape lighting this week. Will also be doing some aerating, seeding and fertilizing on their lawn this year to get it properly established.

Last picture is our table at the Chamber of Commerce banquet. Wasn't planning on buying a table my first year of business, but my mom received their "Educator of the year" award. With that said, we made plans to attend. Was very proud of her. She has slaved for many years educating high schoolers and has made a huge difference in many kids lives. Was thrilled to see her get the recognition and hear the kind things said about her.

Sky Plant Cloud Property Building

Plant Property Window Building Wood

Plant Property Window Building Tree

Plant Sky Wood Branch Tree

Plant Road surface Tree Land lot Sky

Sky Ecoregion Shade Plant Wood

Table Furniture Chair Plant Flower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.