Eastern Tent Catapillars

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mlc4163, Apr 26, 2003.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 LawnSite Member

Ran a few search options but couldn't find any info on controlling or minimizing Eastern tentworms.
    What is the preferred methods of control?

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

How bad is the problem? Most of the time no damage is done, although it is unsightly. Pesticide can be sprayed on the nests, but.....apply only if infestations are found in damaging numbers.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Their "tents" are almost moisture proof so when you spray them most of it does not get inside. Get a long pole and just beat the nest out of the tree...has worked for me many times. I bught one of those rally long telescopic poles that they use to change light bulbs in high ceilings...I also use it to string Xmas lights way up in trees. One of the guys here turned me on to this gadget and I use it for many things at home and in the biz...great little tool...inexpensive too...about $15...at Lowes

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Talstar will do the trick and quick to.

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

or carbaryl.

Dad used to burn them out with a lit rag soaked in kero on a stick, they used to really crackle!

6. same here , ppl just burn em out, just gotta be carefull. i`ve only dealt with 1 nest and i threw a rock( about a 5 pounder, the nest was close to the ground) trough it and the whole thing came down. and that was the end of it. the nest was in a small tree next to a parking area at one of my ball diamonds .

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Eastern tent caterpillars feed nocturnally. They spend the daylight hours in the middle of the web, as protection from predators, especially birds. To successfully treat with pesticides, you must tear the outer web and spray thru the opening. But spraying still leaves the ugly webs.

The best thing is to watch susceptable trees, esp crabapples and hawthornes, when ETC is due to come out. They will generally build tent at a small crotch on a branch. If you get them early, web is small, and pruning out the branch they are on is the quickest and simplest cure. And since they're all in the web in daylight, it's a complete cure.