1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

easy flow drain system?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JFGLN, Apr 5, 2012.

1. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client with a large lawn and bad drainage. It has a layer of top soil over heavy clay soil. The lawn deteriorates over the winter-not much grass left, mostly mud. Would an easy flow drain system help?
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not by itself.

What I would suggest is renovating the lawn. Tilling as deep as possible to break the hardpan.

That and you could do a semi temporary solution by going into the lawn and using a 4" auger or better and auger out as many holes as you can, as deep as you can. This way you are breaking the hard-pan and giving places for water to go.

To me this would be the most inexpensive solution, but might need to be done once every few years.

Back on our farm we used to do this on certain wet-holes in fields without drainage. It would work well for about 3-5 years until it was needed again, or a field drainage system was put in place.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

First would be to do some farming. Deep tilling with the addition of organic material. Then, make sure slope and grade are such that the water doesn't stand for long periods of time.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

That's the right attitude!