easy ? for a pro

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Commonwealth LC, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Commonwealth LC

Commonwealth LC LawnSite Member

well, is there any one price per 1000 sq/ft that anyone uses for just fertilizing an existing lawn? my neightbor wants that done and i was thinking maybe $10/1000 but im still very new in ferting and stuff so i just want a more established opinion on this also.

and with the same question for seeding a new lawn. price per 1000 sq/ft anyone? thanks a lot, this site always helps and i try not to ask too much and find want i dont know without asking but yall are great and thanks.

2. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Plese use the search feature. there are tons of threads on pricing. :)

3. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

$3/m should be ok. If you can get more in your area, by all means, do.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$10 per k per PRODUCT. example- weed and feed contains fert, and herbicide. the price on a 5k lawn would be $100. powerseeding- $45 per k. seed rate 5-7 lbs per k

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

.004 / sq ft / chemical (whether fert or whatever) / round.

6. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Bobby,

So by that logic how much should I apply for an application that uses nitroform, nutralene, Sulfate of Potash, iron, humic acid, manage, drive, and speedzone?

Should I cahrge 8x my rate?

I must be doing it wrong. The way that I charge is an annual cost to keep their lawn pristine, lush and beautiful. For most of my lawns that means they end up in 40 - 50.00 per k range per year. I schedule 4 stops per year -- but make more if necessary.

My customers don't care what products I use or how much -- they care about their lawn looking good. For those that fo not pay up front annually, -- I charge them 4x a year when I fertilize and not at any needed in between stops.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

charge what you want lonnie. a fert app should be cheaper than a pesticide app, but still charged accordingly. if i am going to apply fertilizer on 5k, i need to cover, u know, all the basis- travel time, product liability, etc. now, if i'm going to apply a pesticide, i need to cover everything that i do with a fert app, and also record keeping, recertification, etc, everything gets calculated, as well as the health risks involved. i knew a guy who had 7 thousand fert clients, SEVEN THOUSAND! his profit, on average, for a merit app, was $8. EIGHT BUCKS! no thanx. charge what you want, 99% of the guys doing apps are making about $2 an hour. let me ask you this....you charge a "flat rate" for your INITIAL recomended program. what if extra apps are needed to correct unforseen circumstances? like maybe your originally scheduled weed treatments werent cutting it, and u needed to go back and spot spray, or re-treat, would you charge extra for this?

8. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

No -- I do not charge extra for spot treatments. Now, often times a customer wants soemthing I do not reccomend, such as a grub application or such and then I give them a price to do that. However, they pay me for a lush, green, weed free yard.

The only caveat is disease. I have a clause in my contract that if I see signs of disease during any visit that I will make an immediate curative app and charge up toa full application price -- without consent needed.

However, this is usually les than 1% of my customers annually. I have very few lawns with disease problems.

Now -- I also often ahve a higher price for first time customers because it will take me more time and materials to get the lawn in shape.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

not bad. ok, look, if you have a first year client, you sign them up in march, you recomend a standard progem. come june, uh oh, nutsedge. you had no way of knowing they would get it. charge to treat it, or not?

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't mean to jump in the conversation, but I'm going to. :)

If the customer wants it treated immediately, extra charge.

If they want to wait until round 3, (or whichever round you'll be doing next) no extra charge, right Bobby?