Easy Garbage PickUp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Patriots, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Just landed my first very large commercial account. Only problem is that it is 3 - 4 acres and very spread out, don't really want to waste one man's labor picking up waste. I have never had the need for garbage pails/bags on mowers before - but to save time I want to start using them. What have y'all found works best, 5 gallon pail on Z's with an easy reacher? How about on walk behinds, and trim mowers? Anyone know of a company that makes products for garbage/debris pickup, seems like it would be a decent market.

2. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Visit W.E. Chaps, they are listed on this sites home page and offer a wide variety of items for what you are describing. I use the bags which hang from the handles of my walk behinds and they are very durable. They also make the same things available for zero turns as well. I actually have a $199.00 credit that I still need to use based on a give away that I won here on Lawnsite.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

That's what I do. Nicest grabbers are at Home Depot for about $20. Only problem is they're only about 3' long.

Gemplers has longer ones, but they're not quite as nice.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

get the original and best reacher at www.ezreacher.com

They are the best, IMO, out there, and are available in different lengths for Z's, WB's, walking,etc..
    Get the debris bags as Bull suggested.Can't go wrong with that combo.
  5. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

go to e-bay item #4438962607 (I dont know how to copy the page to here)
    Lot of - 3 - Reaching Pick Up Tool ... ends in 3 hours, located in Virginia.
  6. Patriots

Patriots LawnSite Member

Well Bull if ya ain't gonna use it throw it my way.*lol* Thanks for the info.
  7. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Patriots I guess I will hang onto it. The reason I have not yet used it is that I knew over this winter I would be making some changes in my equipment line up and now that I almost have this finalized I am going to be placing the order for some things. I have ordered from WE Chaps before and I am very pleased with the items.
  8. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

put a nail in a broken handle and save the 20 for beer. garbage sucks but why spend money on something your not getting paid for. The easiest way is to get to your big areas and walk them for about 5 mins. bring the bag with you and be done. then get back on the mower and go.

I saw some fat slob on a Z. He was reaching for his water bottle in the cup holder and leaning to pick-up the garbage with one of those grabber things. Couple weeks later the guy had a nice gauze bandage on his elbow. Didn't want to embarrass him, but I bet he hit the muffler. Fat Fuc?, get off the damn thing.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I get paid to pick up the garbage on the properties that I mow.

It's based on an average of $60 / hour. If I can sit on my butt, pick up the garbage as I mow and get done faster than walking the entire property first, then mowing it, why would I just "put a nail in a board"?

Now you have to pull the garbage off the board as well, instead of just dropping it into the bucket and keep mowing.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Garbage is picked up by the blower guys and they carry empty fertilize bag. The broom with nail good enough to pick up or get trash out of way of the mower. We have empty bag on mower under foot. Make a bracket to hold the broom with nail instead of keeping it on the foot tray.