easy lawn or turbo turf hydroseeder

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Jul 9, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i'm going to start doing hydro seeding.. estamatting most jobs will be under 10k sq feet... i see these to seeders are at the price range i'm looking for.. what one is better to use or will they both be about equal because there jet agitation?

2. Corby Dieu

Corby Dieu LawnSite Member

I wouldnt waste my efforts on either one. It will cost more money but I recomend you purchase a Finn or Bowie. The cheap jet agitated machines will not allow you to do quality work. For the most part they are just a scam. If you are interested in hydroseeding/mulching check out Hydro Turf Planters Associations web site at www.htpa.org

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok but why are jet agitated hydroseeders a scam? You slammed Turbo Turf in 2 posts now, explain why the are a scam.

4. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

Turbo Turf and the jet agitated machines are scams because they have no mechanical agitator. You rely on the pump to circulate the slurry. The smallest clump of mulch and you got a clog from "blazes". With a mechanical agitator you only start the pump when you are fully mixed. Picture it this way, you want to make money shooting grass seed, not dissassembling your machine to unclogg it. Also, with a jet machine you can only use 100% paper mulch, with crusts over and kills the seed that may germinate.

Turbo turf and these cheap machines are for the cheapskates and less quality hydroseeders. Buy a Bowie or Finn, if you can't afford these machines stay out of seeding. Your machine makes you money if you buy a quality machine.

You get what you pay for. Also, turbo-turf and others over estimate your true earnings, be prepared for the job that you need to reshoot. Customers think you shoot "magic" seed.

5. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i have a turbo turf.it works great for what i need it for.takes longer to mix so i mix it at the shop and leave it running on the way to the job.now the bigger easy lawn unit has a mulch chopper in it.just remember you can't mix wood mulch in these things.thats the one draw back plus you may have a few call backs for patching up a few spots

7. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a hydro seeder but I have been looking into them. I have noticed that most people aren't on the fence about jet or mechanical agitation. They all seem to love one and hate the other.

Indiana what brand of machine do you use?

The new information that I recieved from Turbo Turf lists a mechanically agitated machine.

I have purchased other equipment from turbo turf and have nothing but praise for their customer service.

8. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have a Finn. To me jet agitated machines are like the Home Depot version of hydroseeders. The picture of cutting corners. There are guys that use them and get along fine. For me and my 10 years of hydroseeding experience, there is no substitute for quality.

You could also look at TurfMaker. They have a mechanical agitator and a separate pump.

It is true that if you know what you're doing you can use cheaper machines, but then comes the pride of using quality equipment and getting good results. The problem I have with these machines are two fold: 1. system for pumping and mixing 2. the information they lead you to believe

They make you believe that you'll make a million doing seeding and only spend $3000 - $5000. Every branch of the trade has low and high bidders, most of the first-timers are lower than low and make customers that the quality of the high and low are the same. Kinda like in grass cutting, $20 minimums and $5 hedge trimming. Where does that leave us that have spent the money and time to do a good job?

Buy a quality machine and charge accordingly. Find out your "true" market and what it will bear. If you got a cheap seeder around, think long and hard about entering the arena.

9. Corby Dieu

Corby Dieu LawnSite Member

I guess I wont have to explain the el cheapo machines. Indiana done a great job for me.

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Well I have both types of machines and use them everyday. I admitt that I had trouble with my jet machine when I first bought it and that it doesnt have the power to spray long distances with like my bowie, but after making a few modifications to it I can mix 240 lbs of mulch,(jetspray) or 200 lbs of 70/30 mulch along with 100lbs of lime and 50 lbs of fertilizer with out any CLOGGS. The part about not mixing wood mulch in a jet machine is a bunch of bull from someone that doesnt know what they are doing period. And I have clogged up the bowie with wood mulch just the same as the jet machine. The fact is either machine will grow grass if you use the right materials. As for mixing times, either machine will be ready to spray if you let the machines mix while filling so dontbelieve the part about the mechanical machine mixing faster either. Wood mulch takes longer to mix than paper because it takes longer for the wood to adborb the water. If I could only have one machine yes it wood be mechanil agitated, but my jet machine paid for the mechanical one. The part about the money, well Indiana just what do you charge per sqft?