Easy question about striping lawns.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by equipment_lister, Jun 23, 2005.

1. equipment_lister

equipment_lister LawnSite Member

Which edge of the deck do you lower front or rear to achieve maximum striping effect? There may be other factors and I know I can by a stiping kit for the mower. I have a 52" toro proline it does a decent job striping, I thought I saw here somewhere that you tip the deck either forward or back to achieve the best results..

2. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

The back of the deck should be about 1/8" higher then the front of the deck. Some folks go 1/4", but if you go to far the middle blade will cut lower in the front then the outside blades.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes and if you do that, it considerably increases the streaking effect of the mower, at least it does on my machine. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, streaking is what happens when the mower fails to cut a blade (or more) of grass OR weeds. For this reason I always keep the rear slightly lower than the front (1/8") and that alleviates streaking considerably. Well of course there are people out there who think a lawn-mower should be run around the yard in a low gear but see I like to run mine at full speed because after all, if Toro hadn't intended for their machines to cut at 6+ mph, then why build a 5-speed tranny?

Far as striping, I use a kit - FTS of striping without a kit, I mean, it looks striped regardless but if you're going to do SERIOUS striping, use a kit.
    You could consider the proslide as well.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

NO rake in the deck. No kit. Thing stripes like its noones business. that is my 48"exmark wb.

6. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Ummm no it won't. If the manufacturer sets the deck up with a 1/8" pitch, back being higher... and recommends the deck be setup that way.. that is the optimal cut configuration for THAT machine. Your mower may be different. But most recommend the deck be higher in the back then the front. If you go the opposite way you cut most of your grass towards the back of the deck... which is not as efficient and not the way the decks are designed to mow. Not to mention you will tend to blow out much more with the deck higher in the front.

Glad it works for you though... and I am sure there are variables based on every different type of mower. But MOST of the commercial mowers like Grasshopper, Scag, Exmark, Ferris... they all recommend the deck setup slightly higher in the back.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1/8 to 1/4 inch higher in the back than the front. This isn't for striping effect, it is for cutting efficiency. A mower cuts with the front tips of the blades. With the proper rake, it has a dig into the turf and gets a clean cut. If the deck is running even perfectly level, there will be a certain amount of blowdown, causing an unclean cut. As far as the person that has the trouble with "streaking" of the deck, this is NOT caused by the pitch of the deck. It is a seperate issue, such as blade selection that is causing that. The negative pitch of the deck is just masking that, but you are not getting optimum cutting efficiency that is possible from whatever kind if deck you have.