Easy Question I am Sure For Most

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by rocket10r, Mar 31, 2013.

1. rocket10r

rocket10r LawnSite Member
    from NC

Hello All,

I am just getting started into lawn care and have a yard that I need to ask a question about. They just moved in and the house had been sitting for over a year and the yard has not been taking care of at all.
    The yard has several large patches of clover and other various weeds, I would say that would total about a 1/4 of the total area. I am concerened that if I go with a true weed and feed that the yard will look terrible since so much of the yard will look dead. I normally like to plug and seed in the fall here in North Carolina so spring for me here is more of cleanup and light fertilizers.
    What would be the best thing to do right now(April) so the yard will look decent? Should I leave all the clover and such alone until fall or kill it out. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Put down pre em NOW and spray with 3-way to kill out the weeds. The henbit will be tough to kill if he has any right now but it should die out naturally in a few weeks. What kind of turf is there now
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. rocket10r

from NC

It is a fescue mixture. I was thinking of pre em since thats what I have doing for most yards but with so much of the yard being clover and weeds I did not want it to look terrible right now.

4. rocket10r

from NC

Should I just go ahead and kill out the weeds and deal with the brown spots? If I go with a pre em then I would not be able to seed those areas for a while.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Nitrogen… Clover hates it in the soil, and lawn loves it. So let's start right here. It will not work like weed killer It's a slow process.:waving:

6. GreenLandscaping13

GreenLandscaping13 LawnSite Member

Have you gotten the clover under control? I might have a few suggestions.
    Posted via Mobile Device