easy question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grass disaster, Aug 30, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i don't have access to all of my irrigated homes. some of them are way over watered.

can i just turn the valve off without burning up the pump?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on a lot of factors.

If its coming off a well pump that also feeds the house, then yes, because it will be on a pressure switch.

If its coming off a dedicated irrigation supply pump, check to see if the pump has a pressure switch or a pump start relay. If it's got a relay, then you don't want to do that.

3. grass disaster

the homes are less than a year old.

being new does that make a difference?

4. Dirty Water

Are they on wells or are they on a water system?

If they are on a water system, its no big deal.

I'm guessing if its on a well then it does double duty as an irrigation well.

5. grass disaster

they're on city water, no wells involved.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Then there is no pump. So...........no, you can't break what you don't have.

7. Dirty Water

Ah crap, I just realized I shut off a house now I've for sure destroyed some of the booster bumps in the city mains.

:angel:

8. It shouldn't hurt anything...I have seen a solenoid burn up though...on a drip valve in Phoenix on some desert revegetation stuff.....was meant to run for 12 hours.....water got turned off and it ran for 12 hours...without water in the solenoid......burned it up...not literally, figuratively.

Shouldn't hurt the solenoid to run for 15-45 minutes per day without water though....

BTW...this is a good trick to find the borderline solenoid...you know, customer complains that timer keeps shorting out...all the solenoids ohm out pretty good.....run the system through with the timer and nothing happens.....do this: turn the water off...and run the system w/ the timer and watch and wait....no water in the solenoids will cause the solenoid to heat up faster....thereby showing the borderline solenoid quicker.

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Hey neat party trick. I like it.

10. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

ditto

(this message must be 10 characters long)