easy question...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christoff, Nov 10, 2004.

1. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

How often do I sharpen the blade on a 21" walk behind mower? I say I do 5 lawns a week? and what about if I did 20 lawns a week? thanks

2. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

The more you use the blade the more you sharpen it. Under normal conditions once a day. If you are mowing alot every four hours. It is really your own decesion to make.

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Too many variables - best to check the blade after each day's use. 21's do not need to be razor sharp to do an excellent job but you do not want a rolled edge, nicks or rounded corners on the cutting surface.
    My 21" is a low use item and is sharpened every couple of weeks (which works for me).

BobR

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

is this a trick question?

GEO :)

5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

use my 21" mowers everyday, i sharpen them when i remember. and that's when i actually notice a difference in the cut quality. i can go for weeks though with a prime cut finish.

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We carry one 21" on the trailer.It gets used in one yard out of 27, and gets sharpened maybe once every two months or so. It really depends on useage, conditions of mowing, i.e sandy soils, etc., and the operator using it.Next year we won't need the 21", so it won't be a problem anymore..lol :waving:

7. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Oh, I want to be there too!

How are you getting there, Bill? Eliminating accounts or replacing the mower with something else? I want a 36" walk-behind. If I need anything smaller to do a yard, I'll turn it down.

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I sharpen all my blades every 8-10 hours.

9. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

the best way to tell is to check the grass strands...if they have a torn top portion, it's time to sharpen. If they were actually cut and not ripped, you can still cut with it.

george

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Mark-Both...I dropped some smaller accounts that had tons of obstacles and narrow areas, and on the others, the new Standers go everywhere the 21's and WB's used to go. A couple commercials that we used 21" 2 cycles on , are faster to line trim than wrestle the mowers on.I got rid of my 48 and 36 wb's this summer as well. We now mow everything with 48" Standers. I am going to add a new 52" in the spring. We only mow 27 properties, but they are quality accounts, and if the equipment we use won't fit the profile for the lawn, or we don't get a full service maint. agreement with it, we pass on it..

P.S.- Adam is right about trying to find your "quote" button...LMAO!! :dizzy: