1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

easy to use Hedge Trimmer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CuttersEdgeks, Jul 29, 2007.

1. CuttersEdgeks

CuttersEdgeks LawnSite Member

need a hedge trimmer. looking for some reviews on some

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

"Easy to use hedge trimmer," is an oxymoron. I presume you are asking about gas powered commercial ones, such as Echo, RedMax, Stihl, etc. Some may be a bit lighter than others, but after extended use, I think they will all get very heavy.

I have found hedge/bush trimming hard work, especially if some places to reach are difficult. Having to work off a ladder or scaffold to reach higher places, even with an extended reach clipper, makes the work hard. Or, if the bushes are small, close to the ground, the bending over holding the 11, 12, or 13# clipper gets challenging after awhile. Doing the clipping is part of the effort, cleanup can be work as well (clippings over mulch, putting down/taking up tarps, picking up the debris, etc). Access to the work makes a big difference in how much work is involved.

If "easy to use" is only defined as getting it started, ready for work, then a hedge clipper is a snap. When you put it to work, then the effort starts in earnest.

Maybe my view is a bit biased. Yesterday, we worked from 8:00 to 2:30, trimming many bushes. My primary equipment was a Stihl HS80 (24" double reciprocating blade), and a Stihl FS85, with a 22" hedge clipper attachment. Only a couple of bushes were easy access, and five major ones were 10-12 feet high, with limited access against the house and surrounded by other bushes. I used step ladders with a plank for scaffold to reach some of them. By the end of the project, I started my mowing work for the day, and realized how much easier mowing work is than trimming.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We think the new Echo SHC-212 is a very good all around hedge trimmer. We use a lot of the HC1500 and we have two of the larger articulating ones but the 212 is most often used.