Easy Trick for fast mulching

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chriscraft, Mar 24, 2006.

1. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

With all the questions on mulching and time we figured this out and it saves us a ton of time on many much jobs. We line up 4 33 gallon trsh cans under the tail gate and shove it in the cans fast when full we load them on a heavt duty cart attached to our lasers. All our lasrs have hitches. We then ride the laser to the mulched areas and dump them . we then go do it again. its actually very very fast and beats pushing whek barrows to the back of the house. Also,theres no bending because the much is in the truck and you are at street level, so you are more or less pulling the much and raking it into the cans, We spill a lot on the street but that cleans up easy at the end. The cart we bought for $300 but its real Heavt duty and is great for a multitude of othe things
  2. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you load the barrels with mulch using a 10 tine pitch fork? So much easier then using shovels.
  3. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

I used a shovel for a couple of years then got a pitchfork it makes a difference
  4. chriscraft

yes we have the forks but just wanted to let peope know the cart and barrel was a very fast way to move it to areas, we hold 4 barrles in the cart and we can unload the buckets in seconds
  5. Insometry

Insometry LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Nice process man. Thanks.

I actually really enjoy doing mulch. :)
  6. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

A 700# dolly and a 55 gal trash can are perfect for stairs, or if you have a job on a hill
  7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Can you post pics of this method in action? It sounds good. My plan is use my dump truck and dump at multiple locations while my workers shovel and wheel barrel to the beds!
  8. chriscraft

hard to post a pic but i bought a utility cart that attaches to the laser or any tractor line up 4 palstic trash cans behind the truck lower the get shovel it in the barrels load em on the cart, drive the laser to the back yard or whereever, dump the barrels . load em on the cart drive back to the truck, do all over. if 2 guys one can spread the much while the other is loading. very fast. we bought out cart at tractor supply company. i believe they are nation wide chain. its like a homedepot for landscapers , lots of goodies at reaonable prices that yo umay not find at the local mower store plus they have like a 500 pg catalog. they had 6 carts to choose from. ours has a steerable front axel also
  9. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Have you not considered the effects this may have on your hydraulic units. The yare not meant to tow. I actually tried aerating w /mine a few years ago and was told this is a big nono.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

anybody use the JRCO transporter for getting mulch to back yards and similar areas?