eating batteries

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by itteitj, Oct 8, 2007.

1. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

I have a ferris 2000z with a 25 hp kawi, 167 hours, 1 1/2 years old. engine model fh641v. I have been through my 3rd battery. The last one lasted 1 week and went completely dead. Looking for some help with this.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Tom,

It sounds like you have a charging system problem, Farris and Kawasaki both have a two year warranty. I would suggest you take it to your dealer and let them go through the testing procedures and correct the problem under warranty.

If you want to try doing it yourself use the search feature above this forum and you will find many many threads with pictures/details how to do so.

Good Luck

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

use a volt meter and check the battery at the terminals when not running. It should read 12.6 volts fully charged, but may be just under that. Start the mower and then check at the battery again at the terminals. If the volt meter reads the same or less you have a problem in the charging system.if you get 14+ volts then your charging system is working ok. If you get high voltage your regulator may be bad. It converts AC to DC and regulates 30+ AC volts down to about 14 volts DC.

also with the volt meter and motor and key off check the voltage after the key switch in off position you should read 0 if not you have a bad switch and it is bleeding the batt, testing the stator would be next but I hate to type....

you could have a charge wire didconnected or shorted look for a red or yellow wire loose/damaged or disconnected some where around the key switch the wire harness or the starter

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Is you battery secured down?

5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

had the same problem w/ one of my jd's, ended up being a voltage regulator

6. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

The voltage at the battery while running is 17 volts, a bit high. I brought it in for service because it is still under warranty. I will post the final results.
    Tom

7. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the regulator is fried and allowing AC volts to the battery. AC kills them rather quickly.
    During your test, if you had switched your meter to AC, you probably would have seen "some". There shouldn't be ANY.

8. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

Follow up to original post. The service guy called and said the machine is ready. He also told me they found a disconnected wire somewhere in the charging system. I don't buy this as there was an indication of +17 volts across the battery terminals while the engine was running. I still think there is a problem with the voltage regulator. This is why I would rather fix it myself than deal with these people. I will get the part myself.
    Tom

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When you go to pick it up before anything is paid make them put a tester across the battery, If it's still over charging make THEM fix it !!!

10. itteitj

itteitj LawnSite Member
    from RI

When I picked up the machine they told me they repaired a loose wire and the charging rate was normal. I checked it after using it for the day and it read about 13 volts accross the battery while running.