ebay sales?

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by Frontier-Lawn, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

what all to i need to do to sell tanaka on ebay, also would i have to stock items or order as i sell?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking to start selling them as a dealer or just re-selling items to make some extra cash? Many manufacturers don't allow dealers to list or sell items online. Redmax, husqvarna, stihl are a few that come to mind.

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

tanaka is the only one that lets people sell them online/ ebay. and i was thinkin maybe dealer. that way i can get more money coming in to get a new hustler z.

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Redmax really doesn't give a rat's hiney anymore. They don't have time or care to police their dealers to ensure that they are abiding by the dealer agreement that they signed. As long as they've got units going out the door and money coming in, they could care less.

5. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Yes, you would have to be a stocking dealer to sell online. We will put out our formal dealer e-commerce policy shortly.

-MW

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe your distributor dosen't enforce that policy but the dealership I work at received a letter in the mail last week stating we were not allowed to sell equipment online.

7. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

RedMax is requiring all dealers to sign a new contract stating they will not sell online..... So online sales should stop soon, their policies before didn't really state any online policy so they couldn't really stop it. We're a RedMax dealer in South Louisiana, I sold a few online but there was little to no profit in it, the eBay sellers are giving them away.... I'd rather sell and take care of my local customers, that's the guys who matter!!

Shane
    Gautreaux's Lawn & Garden

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

The 6 or so that I reported over the past year or so never had anything done to them. Just like that Travis guy that used to be a sponsor here. They were selling the things online left and right and nothing has ever been done (even now) to stop them.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I dont think you could do it. To get into the better price brackets you would need quite a large inventory. And if you arent in the best bracket you wont come close to the best prices on the net.

The prices that people quote for Russo on ebay or wherever are maybe a couple bucks over my cost.

And to get into the best bracket...start thinking 100 pieces of equipment per year and then making a few bucks on each one.

Not trying to discourage you but, it is gonna be an uphill battle.

I have been thinking of trying to sell some stuff online. Honda engines is a big one. I just dont know if I want to mess with people ripping me off with stolen credit cards and all that.

10. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I've tried online it's not worth the headache... credit cards, shipping, ebay fees... too much headache...

I also sell Husqvarna and they allow online sells, they do not force me to service equipment which was not purchased from me. If you buy Husqvarna from Lowe's then they're your service center ... If you buy Husqvarna online then you're on your on for service.....

The customer who shops in my store appreciates it, my service department is not cluttered with a thousand items from all over, and they get faster service.

We all have our opinion on this but I like the local personal service!