1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ebay warning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, May 17, 2006.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

I even ZTR shopping on ebay this week and when i went to look at newly listed mowers today i saw alot of what i believe to be scams on there. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Most of the auctin were no reserve but you could buy the mower dirt cheap if you contacted them. They were private sellers so you can make ur own conclusions. I just dont want anyone to get ripped off. IF ITS TOO GOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS!!!!
  2. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up.
  3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

What exact scams are you talking about? Why don't you just buy/bid on one close to where you live and go and check it out in person. Contact the seller by phone and ask lots of questions. Get a feel for them. Many sellers put no reserve in hopes for more action. Sounds to me your just not comfortable with the process and don't want to do your due diligence. You just can't assume most of it's a scam. What's been YOUR personal experience, if you care to share.
  4. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

I sell alot on Ebay and start alot of my auctions off at a low starting bid with no reserve to get more lookers and attention and I list most as a private auction to keep scammers from contacting my bidders claiming to be me, get a phone number call, get references if you feel the need, there are alot of honest people on Ebay. If you are that unsure of the auctions you might need to look somewhere you can touch the mower instead of seeing a picture.

5. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

Be wary if the seller supplies his personal email address and says something like. I am at work and I can't get my messages through ebay so respond here. A yahoo account or something like that. I have seen many cases where people are selling utility vehicles, tractors, ect..... and post bogus pictures and are looking to RIP YOU OFF. Example Polaris Ranger Utility Vehicle for sale "Buy it now $2900.00 USD but contact me at my yahoo account.. If you can buy it at that price sign me up for two.

These people pirate and use accounts of unsuspecting ebay members. Ebay pulls these auctions when they think one is a scam you must be careful. My best advice is to look at a persons feedback for both selling and buying and contact someone that did business with them if you want to. Use paypal only for payment and never wire anyone any money. Read the disclaimers with paypal to make sure that you are comfortable with your options if there is a problem. Ebay is a great site and I have been a member buying and selling for some time. Remember is was best said in a comment earlier in the thread. "If the deal is too good to be true"

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I trolled ebay one winter looking for used equipment.
    For me, it was a waste of time.
    Nothing worthwhile inside any reasonable distance.

But YES, I saw about as many SCAMS on there on a daily basis as I saw legit stuff. I think it was due to how I had my sort preferences set. Usually the scams would make up a good number of the newest auctions. Ebay would pull them sometimes and other times they would not.

Anyways, it was not odd at all to see repeats of already removed scams. They steal pictures of stuff online and hack into people's accounts. One of the very last times I even looked on there I saw another members pictures of his Gravely mower on there. I contacted him and he contacted ebay about it. They took the pictures off one of the sites and used them to post an ebay scam.
  7. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bought lots of stuff on ebay, probably over 50 different orders, and have never had a problem. Father bought a RV off of ebay, no problem. Some things I've learned:
    1. Never venture outside of ebay during the purchase. Always use the ebay system for all contacts, payments, etc.
    2. Use a credit card or paypal for all monies. It seems to be okay to make final payment in person when you pick up the item. If it is a scam and they just want your deposit, you can get it back with credit card/ebay.
    3. Only buy from sellers with a good selling history on ebay.
    4. Watch out for shipping costs.
    5. Read the ENTIRE auction in detail, even print it out for record of it's a big item.

Ebay owns paypal so it's easy to get your money back if you use them. I can't emphasis enough to stay in the ebay system during the entire process, ebay can not and will not help you if you go on your own.

Personally I love ebay. I was skeptical at first but now I don't buy anything until I at least check the price in ebay. Outside of food and daily essentials, I buy over 50% of stuff on ebay and 40% on other webstores and less than 10% from actual stores. Chemicals are reasonable on ebay, I think I spend about $20-24/gallon for a generic roundup (41% with surfacant) delivered, works very well.
  8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i caught a guy that hacked the account of someone i new to list new dell computers. he listed email in ad and said to contact directly. i knew he was bogus and reported it.
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

local farm/feed store has it for $6 a gallon in 5 gallon buckets. i could make some money selling it at $24/gallon
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Good GRIEF! You guys get the stuff CHEAP!

I buy 2.5 gallon jugs and usually it costs me well over $100 each.