Echo 21.2cc Vortex engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by yungman, Dec 1, 2007.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I have an Echo HC150 hedge trimmer with 21,2cc Power Boost Vortex engine. I found out that it has only one compression ringl. It is supposed to be a commercial engine and rated for 300 hours emmision complience.

Is this engine as good as the other Echo 2 rings Power Boost Tornado engine used in 230 and 260 trimmers?

Will they last as long?

My trimmer is very hard to start, I kept experimenting different ways to start. Seems like it is best to put full choke and pull untill it start and still have to have half choke for a little bit before I can open it all the way. Do I need to read into this or just leave it.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think time will tell if they hold up....the idea is less friction and heat with this set-up. I am guessing they have put some new kind of plating on the cyclinder as well. I am not going to buy any for a couple years

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Echo has the new "orange" series of powerheads out now. They have really cheapened up these engines and have only one ring on the piston. Commercial quality? I would say not, or just barely.
    It is a fact that 60% of Echo sales is now from Home Depot equipment. Echo is going after that market in a big way and really skimping on improvements to the commercial quality equipment. A couple of high-up Echo officials have left the company due to the
    company focus of producing cheap machines for H.D, instead of quality commercial equipment.
    Echo is going to become the next "Homelite" or "Ryobi" of handheld equipment. Just wait and see. The handwritting is on the wall.

4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

From what have seen, the new Vortex engines run just as well as the Tornados. Long term durability has yet to be seen as with any new technology.
    Both the Tornados and the Votex engines need to be "warmed up" with the choke partially on, especially when it is cold. It has to do with emissions and lean carburetors.

5. yungman

from Calif.

I agree, my trimmer almost prefer to have the choke partially on.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not consistent with the info I received from the factory technicial rep that was at the austin show last year. This set-up with one ring was not a cost saving idea and is a very high technology set-up.....whether it will prove to be reliable is another question. Heat had to be reduced on these units and this was their way I doubt if you are correct that they are moving away from building heavy duty commericial equipment they still are looking at staying with the two stroke with fuel injection in coming years. That will be costly and not home depot kind of product line.

7. Mowingman

from Texas

The info. I have says that Echo will be using the Shindaiwa C4 technology in the future. This is the reason they formed an alliance with Shindaiwa.
    Echo currently has 10 EPA noncompliant machines. As of Jan., they have to quit building 5 of those models. All the models going away are reported to be commercial duty machines, while they will continue to build noncompliant homeowner models for Home Depot.
    Who knows what is going on, but I guess we will find out over the next couple of years.

8. yungman

from Calif.

Hi Mowingman
    Is this accurate information, Echo is going to use C4 technology!!! How is 34cc C4 motor Shindi has on the T3410? Are they very reliable?

9. Mowingman

from Texas

My info. is very reliable, from a person with over 30 years experience in 2 stroke engine development at one of the big name, handheld equipment companies.
    I have no experience with the Shind. 4 cycle engines. We only sell their 2 strokes at our store. However, I do not like the whole 4 cycle concept on handhelds. Lots of moving parts, lots of extra weight, and less HP output than a 2 stroke, from like-sized CC engines. I am a big believer in staying with 2 stroke technology until it is not possible to buy a 2 stroke at all.

10. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

It is logical that Echo would want to "get in" with some 4 stroke technology. You never know for sure when two stroke might be gone. However, I don't think Echo has any plans to get rid of 2-stroke. Even though many of us don't like the 4-strokes, there are some who do, and it is advantageous for them to offer both options.