Echo 2100, 2400 or neither?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B & S Lawn Care, May 7, 2001.

1. B & S Lawn Care

B & S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am looking into a new trimmer(straight shaft)to use as my primary trimmer. My Ryobi( ahah, no laughing)curved shaft is starting to cause backache. I'm 6'4 and need something comfortable and have sampled several. The echos have the most comfortable grip and seem to feel well for upright trimming. Any other opinions? Also, when you trim do you have better results trimming in the direction of the rotation of the string or the opposite direction?
  2. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have a few Echo 2400's and have not had a problem with them. i do perfer the Stihl though. i have 5 FS 80 and they have held up great. i think that the stihl's have some more power. i also have a Tanaka and it is fairly good to.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I had a 2100 and I hated it. took it back. it was very smooth running and powerful though. I probably should have tried it without the guard. it seems that everyone else does. the fact that you are so tall may make the 2100 work for you because the shaft seemed really long to me.

in any event, you'd probably be happer with the 2400 because of more power, which is everything in this business.

4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

Get the SRM 3100- lighter, more powerful, bigger gas tank, great tool.
  5. crs

crs LawnSite Member

Sorry, but the srm-3100 is a much heavier unit. The srm-2601 or its new replacement(sorry don't know that number) is a lighter unit than the 2100 or 2400. For commercial use don't even look at the 2100 for your main unit. You will quickly want more power. I used to work for an equip. co. that sold Echo and we had problems with the 2100 when the commercial guys bought them, it was just too much to ask of that unit.
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 2100 and think it is great, I can edge concrete sidewalks, and do the other trimming jobs with ease. It is three yrs old and I would get another one,mabey a bigger one with more power but I haven`t had any problems with mine.I also have a shindawia T-260 andI think it is a good trimmer too.
  7. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Echo 2100 and 2400 are basicly their cheap models and most of the guys around here seem to have trouble with them. Go for the 2601. I've had a 2501 (the model the 2601 replaced) since 92 and it still runs great and strong.
  8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

We run the echo 2601 pretty good trimmers with decent life......
  9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Id go with the 2601 there lightweight 11.5-LBs State of the art 25.4cc heavyduty commercial engine. Marks Mowing Service
  10. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

I don't know what I was thinking, I meant the 2601. That's the way to go.