Echo 230 Blower/Vac, Any Good???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DavesLawnCarePlus, Jun 30, 2005.

1. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone... Been reading on this forum for quite a while now and I've been working hard to build up my small company. I'm ready for my first blower/vac and was wondering what you all think about the Echo 230 Blower Vac. I want the Vacuum feature to be able to get some work cleaning up in the fall and possibly during storm season. Anyhow.. Thought Echo would be a good choice and this seems to be a good model. Please let me know what you think about this choice and what you think they're worth.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one about 3 weeks ago for some of my commercial properties. I also have been using it more than my 750 because it's a bunch lighter, uses less gas and the 750 isn't needed right now.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I Have an Echo Shred 'n Vac Commercial Unit..... About all its Good for is Cleaning Window Wells...The Bag Tears at the Elbow....it is Just Basically Useless...Blowers and Bags are Much Faster.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I like mine... pretty much feel the same as Tharrell.
    I really like the blower tube design. It's useful.

Mine has served me well as a blower in full time 'every lawn' service.
    It's in it's 3rd season as we speak.
    It has given me no problems I can blame on the blower itself.
    The only part I've replaced is the recoil starter assembly ($39).
    But that's probably my fault for leaving it in the rain all the time and it's been rainy here.

It has only failed to start a few times. But all these times everything 2 cycle I had went down at about the same time. Fuel and fuel line problems only.

This is NOT a strong blower like a backpack by any means.
    But it does great for every day use purposes and the vac is handy.

However... if it EVER dies... it will be replaced with a Stihl SH85.
    The Stihl is just designed better all over pretty much.

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/SH85.html

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I liked the tube on the 230 so I bought an end extension to put on my 750. It directs the airflow better. The 750 is so powerful, it pushes stuff into the grass instead of across it. With the extension, it now pushes stuff across the grass. As far as the bag goes, I can't see how it would tear in normal use. I had a "weedeater" blower/vac years ago and the only thing that happened to it was the zipper went out and I had it replaced. I know from feeling it that this Echo unit is tougher than that old one I had.

6. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

Thank you all for your opinions. I bought the unit this morning. A customer had won it in a ticket draw from my own dealer. Got a great deal on it and can't wait to try it out. I was using a broom for clearing walkways and driveways, so this will help increase productivity. It's been my goal to buy what I can afford, when I can afford it. All I've been buying is commercial gear. I would have liked to get the Stihl Backpack Blower but the Echo will get me by until next months invoices are paid.

Thanks for the help.

Dave