Echo 260 hca bogging down help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, May 31, 2008.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

My echo hca 260 idles fine, but bogs down and stalls when the throttle is opened. New fuel, fuel filter is ok, as are the fuel lines. I checked the exaust port, all good. I took the carb apart twice and found a little yellow gunk build up in the intake tube, cleaned it out. There are no adjustments either on the carb. wyj Walbrp 186-442. Any ideas before Ireplace the carb. I also took out the needle valve and all looked ok. thanks

2. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

You most likely didn't get all the gunk out of the carb, try cleaning again or get a new one. Steve

3. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

What should I soak it in?

4. mountainlake

mountainlake LawnSite Member

You might want to try a torch tip cleaner through the small passages, I know these small carbs can be a bear to get clean once they get gunked up. Try and buy gas without ethonal, use Stabil and try and run thgem every mounth or two. Steve

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and put a new carb kit in. The device that operates the needle valve may be worn. How old is this unit? Obviously you checked fuel filter and breather and replaced them. Sometime the units without carb adjustment just won't run right after they get some age. I replaced carb with adjustable one off new unit and it did fine so I bought a new adjustable carb on one of mine.

6. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

unit is only 2 years old and used occasionally

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Well not likely seals problem at 2 years. Are you sure there is no hidden adjustment on the carb? Echo only went a couple years without an adjustment on the 260 befoe they put it back on. It is in a small hole with a plastic plug over the screw. And you need a special screw driver to get to it or have to file one down....might want to get to dealer. I would still put in a carb kit.