Echo 260 Or 260s ?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Synergy Ground, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Looking to buy a new trimmer. Just wondering if there is an operating differance between the Echo 260 and the 260S with solid shaft??
    Also, whats you're opinion on this model overall?? Plenty of speed, Torque, Run Well ??

Thanks !:usflag:
  2. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Stihl FS80R, more power. JMO
  3. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

We run the SRM-260S. I would recommend the S model because it has smoother transfer of power to the cutting head. The flex shaft can result in some jerkiness at low RPM.
    We have had excellent performance from our Echo's and I would highly recommend them. Excellent power. You could also opt for the 260T model if you want more torque for cutting weedy areas. We do very well though with our 260S models.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This model is a solid trimmer.....I would consider the 261T for two reasons it has more torque than the 260 which will help in big weeds, and if you remove the guard the 261T clutch shoes will last much longer than 260.
  5. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I would go with the 260-S. I've had one for 6 years now and it still fires up on the second pull when cold. It has a solid shaft and is very lightweight. The throttle response is better with the 260-S.

You will get high rpm with the 260-S and more torque with the 261-T. Torque is good when you are cutting/trimming overgrown stuff, but for general trimming and for the lightness of weight, my money would go with the 260-S. Plenty of power for routine maintenance.

Now, for the overgrown stuff, I don't own a 261-T, but do have a Stihl 4-mix Rs-100 and it is torquey enough for overgrown grass and trimming. I have a friend who let me try his 261-T and you had better watch out for things like PVC pipe, vinyl siding and such with the Stihl Rs-100 and the 261-T. They will cut right through the stuff and anything else thats not solid if you are not careful.

I can do more finesse trimming with the 260-S as the throttle response is excellent, I can trim around ornamentals and fruit trees without cutting them as it is that easy to work the throttle and throttle down and maintain a lower rpm for delicate trimming.

Did I mention that trimmer is lightweight? I love mine and keep coming back to it in spite of a newer Stihl. I like the stihl, but the Echo 260-s is really an excellent trimmer and a solid workhorse.

Hope that helps.
  6. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the SRM 230s and love it.