1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo 260 plugged muffler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I had a terrible running echo 260 weed whip. It is about 3 mo's old. Cleaned the spark plug, replaced the fuel filter, air filter, and removed the spark arrestor. Put a carb on from a 2601, and nothing helped. Found out that it was a plugged muffler to the tune of $60.

I was told it was from an improper oil mixture.

I mix the same way, with same oil, same gas, for multiple whips, edger, 3 blowers, and never a problem.

What else could cause this problem? Is there something inherent in the newer 260 engine that would allow it to clog when the others seem uneffected? Should I be responsible to pay for this seeing that it is only 3 mo's old?

I would appreciate any input.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You couldn't just clean the muffler out? All my Echo equip. tends to run rich, and of course, they've all lost their spark arrestors (that's a given). I've never heard of actually having to replace a muffler. It would take ALOT to fill one of these! Alsi, you always need to scrape that port in the head that goes out to the muffler. Make sure you always turn the motor over though, so the piston rises and blocks off the cylinder so no carbon and stuff can fall down in there. Also, be sure not to scratch the piston when you do this.
  3. Shady Brook

from Indiana

The muffler was not replaced, only cleaned for $60! I did not even think to pull the muffler being as new as it was. I have had the arresters plug before, but never a muffler. It sure seems bad to have a machine plug that quick, and then to get charged for it. I just was thinking it should be warranty I guess.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

As part of winter time maintenance, I'll take the muffler off of my trimmers and clean them out. Just be careful not to drop anything into the cylinder port.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an old Echo 2501 that will run (cold and without the choke - attempted becaues it wouldn't start with the choke either) for a about 2 seconds and then won't start back up for anything. Things I've done: new spark plug, cleaned out the gas tank, replaced the air filter, TURNED THE SWITCH TO "ON" (lol). The next thing on my list is to take off the muffler and spark arrestor and scrape them out (I haven't seen the inside of one; is it scrape it that I should do? or how do you unclog it), but I'm no mechanic an was hoping someone might have some suggestions. I read the earlier posts about being sure to turn it upside down so debris won't fall into the cylinder. Anything else?

Also, if this doesn't do the trick, how hard is it to clean out the carberator and put it back together and adjust it out? I have taken apart my gas-powered 2 - stroke r/c car engine and put it back together successfully, but it uses a glow plug and I don't no what the inside of a trimmer's carb looks like. Would a 2 stroke trimmer be much different?

And if I do take apart the carb, what do I clean it with?

Thanks in advance.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They CHARGED you for this? This CERTAINLY should've been covered under warranty. They are taking you for a ride if you are being charged. That's bull and they know it.
  7. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Thanks alot for your thoughts. It did not sit well with me being billed for something that seemed related to the machine, and not any incompetance on my part. I find it hard to believe a residencial customer would be expected to pull the muffler, and scrape it out as a part of weekly mainenance, let alone a commercial guy.

Oh well, the parts guy is in today, I will have to have a talk with him.

Does anyone know if the newer emission friendly stuff is more inclined to have problems of this nature?

Thanks again
  8. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

shady brook,

My 260 did the same damn thing. I anly paid 25$ to get mine removed and cleaned. Actually, they only cleaned the screen and placed it back in the muffler. I was told that I may have gotten it wet on the racks of my trailer coming home and caused a little rust. I bought that and moved on. However, I had 2 SRM2100 line trimmer with the same symptoms. I came home performed the same tasks they did and bam, they work too. I pu them aside early last season and purchased a couple of Shindaiwa t-260's and gave the others to my brother and father. Then had a set of sch-2100 hedge trimmers do the same thing as the others and fixed them myself.

I have replaced almost all of my echo equipment with Shindaiwa and Husqvarna for this exact reason..

In closing I would say it is an Echo problem not your fuel mixture and everything else they would like to blame it on....

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Use Amsoil instead of petrol oils. Mix at 100:1 and you will have less problems. I had a similar situation happen. If you keep the screen in you will plug easier also.
    Running slower than max tends to blow more unburned mix by and clog the exhaust. Run her hot for a while.
    I'm a firm believer in Amsoil. Good Luck.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

First try to clean the spark arrestor screen. That will usually do the trick. And ALWAYS put the spark arrestor screen back in. They are there for a reason - to keep a hot piece of carbon from exiting the exhaust and starting a fire.