1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Echo 260 Trimmer Hard Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ranger351w, May 15, 2006.

1. ranger351w

ranger351w LawnSite Member

I bought a Echo 260 trimmer brush cutter. The thing is and always has been
    Really hard to start when cold. I have tried choke and no choke , it will not start without the choke with choke one pull then release and pull at least 10 to 12 times then fires and acts flooded.Takes another 3 to 4 pulls then stays running. It runs good after starting and 1 small pull to start when warm.Move to another yard and same ole same ole. $400.00 a lot of money for a piece that will not start. Can anyone point a direction? I know about warranty but need to know if this is normal for this piece.
    A.S.D.S. Mowing
  2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you tried a lot of combinations to start it. I know each engine has there own quirks to start - especially 2 strokes. It sounds like you bought it new? Have you tried full choke and full throttle and pull till it starts? What does your spark plug look like? Try replacing it. What does the air filter look like? You really want to check all the obvious things. I think that maybe 5 or 6 pulls is reasonable for a cold start up. If it's still under warranty then take it back and see if they can start it. It may need a new carb?
  3. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

full choke, full throttle, 2 squirts on the primer bulb, and about 4 or 5 pulls til it sputters, then half choke "should" start it. 2 cycles are quirkey. might need mix screws played with a tad...one turn out from lightly seated is generally a good starting place.
  4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I've got the SRM210 because it's a tad lighter. But mine starts the very same way, hard. I've also got the PB603 backpack blower and that starts on the second pull...EVERY TIME no matter what, even the first start of the year. Go figure, guess it's like some stated above, each 2 stroker has it's own personality.

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

You may want to still bring this unit in for warranty I have seen a lot of new 2cycle with factory carb problems. The new equipment all has to run cleaner and most times leaner ever year, because of the California emissions regulations :hammerhead: and this has made most manufactures go to non adjustable carbs and the settings are very tight and there is no room for error. Its only going to get worse for 2cycle why do you think they have 4stroke hand held equipment its in an effort to run cleaner. I have read trade articles talking about needing to run 92 octane in all equipment and manufactures going to catalytic muffler and every other thing they can think of to pass these laws. 4cycle is no better Kohler has motors with fuel injection and O2 sensors, exhaust temp sensors etc. and you need a laptop and their computer program to help diagnose issues with the motors, its going to be fun in the next few years fixing all this new wave of equipment.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This unit has a carb adjustment on it. It is hidden with a little brass knock out. You will need to grind a small screwdriver down to get it in but don't give up. None of our new 261T units start immediately cold but are better when they get hot. Usually we put it in chock, no priming and pull. It usually starts on third pull then you feather the chock to get it going full speed. I don't hose around with the carb adjustment until hot weather comes then usually need to make them a little lean.
  7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I could never figure out why the government likes to focus on little guys (small 2 strokes) when there flying around in those inefficiant jets from the 60's and 70's. I know we have come a long way but I can't see how all the 2 strokes in the world could equal a 1000 mile flight. Just my own opionion.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There are two things I can tell you about Echo, the first is to pull it 3-4 times in quick succession, almost to where the engine doesn't ever stop turning over. The first start of the day is always a pita, but after that...

I don't know if this will help or make matters worse, but I have a blower with a similar problem and in my case this fixes it. Be aware before you do this, make sure you are DONE trimming before you do it because it will not start for a bit until it has cooled off some (so like between yards).

Anyway, what you do is instead of turning it off via the switch, set the choke to ON and let it die that way, leave the switch on and leave the choke set and put it in the truck.

When you get to the next yard, turn the choke OFF right before you start it, and pull once quick and dirty but be ready to pull 3-4 times total. If it hasn't started by then, the trick doesn't work, my blower starts right away with this, first pull almost always.

What happens is, fuel gets trapped in the chamber and it helps my blower start, but again make sure you're done using it before you kill it like that because my blower will not start again for a good 5-10 minutes (yes it will but you got to pull-pull-pull like you're already tired of doing).
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that's another good trick on the Echo:
    After the choke is ON and you pulled it, rather than turning it off, just slide it a teenie bit off full choke. You almost need to pull the air filter off so you can see how it chokes, you want just a teenie gap of air so really you hardly move the choke lever.

And yes, once it sputters, I find moving the choke from OFF to ON and back and forth to keep it running helps, takes 3-4 of those moves of the lever (each about 1-2 seconds apart or so) then you should be good. You have to pay attention to the sound of the engine, pita to learn and you're never too sure you got it except eventually you get kinda good at it.

Another funny thing I found is some things start easier when left out in the sun, others are better off in the shade (like a tarp cover).
  10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I tried this yesterday on the first start up with the 210 and it started much quicker, good tip ed2hess. Guess I'll never prime it again. The feathering of the choke when it does start is something I've been doing since I bought it.