Echo 260 trimmer, how bad must it be before they will replace it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have an Echo trimmer that is in bad shape. Needs to be warmed up with Choke for over a minute before it will run. Mechanic put a carb kit in it, and this is the result. They say they will not warrenty any carb work unless it is a true manufactures defect. Even after the work the machine is in brutal shape. How bad must it get before I can expect Echo to replace this unit? Is there a certain compression reading or any hard data needed to prove the unit a dud. The Trimmer is only 4 mo's old.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Jay

2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Did the mechanic clean the exhaust port,? sometimes they carbon up and it chokes the port hole and it lacks power.:confused:
    Phill.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer has said that Echo will not replace any hand equipment, only parts to try to correct a problem.

Gene

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

So if the power head goes bad, are they going to replace it? That sounds goofy.

I checked the exhaust port, and cleaned what little depoists there were. That was my first thought when the machine started to loose power.

Jay

5. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Just keep sending it back untill the get it right?

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

mojo111

They already jacked me for 60 bucks for carb work. They noted that the machine has alot of internal wear, and said here ya go. I don't think they plan on doing anything, and I don't think the dealer will help out as they will note that it had no trimmer guard. I am thinking of taking it to another dealer to submit for replacement, if that is possible. I just want to know what criteria they use to determine if it is a unit that qualifies for replacement.
    Guard or no guard I don't think it should be this bad in 4 mo's. I have another Echo that is so so that is 1.5 years and no guard. I have a Shindaiwa that is at least 5 years old, and no guard.

Thanks
    Jay

7. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

Shady Brook -
    I have two Echo 260's, one I bought last year and a new one that I bought at the beginning of this season. Both have the same warm up problem that you describe. To compound the problem they will cut off while trimming. Full throttle half throttle whatever they will just stop - I can't figure out why. The dealer told me to use higher test gasoline - I've put better than ten gallons thru both with 89 octane and the problem still continues. The dealer is still working with me (I have a great dealer) but I don't have alot of time to keep going back to the dealer. Please let me know if you find a cure - I'll do the same.

8. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

The echos have a problem with the solenoid coil thing:confused:
    on-top of magneto?? they heat up and just stop. pain in the but.
    Jay they said it had alot of internal wear?? sounds like bad rings??. and a dud model , try for replacement , Try another dealer it should have at least a 12 month warranty and if that dose'nt work go stright to echo.

good luck.-- Phill.

9. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

I have an echo 230 and I was having some problens with it cutting out and without some trigger pressure it would just shut off . I took it in and the dealer , they put a new carb on it , said they had a recall or something .

10. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

A note to those of you who use a higher grade gas in just your 2cycle engines. Most gas pump use 1 hose for all three grades, If the last gas pumped was 87 octane, it will take at least 1/2 gallon to start getting the higher octane out of the nozzle(gas goes through filter meter and plumbing before coming out nozzle). If you only get 1 gallon in your mix can you are wasting your money...Chuck